Thinking about removing the Origo Oven

CTOlsen

Member III
Olson/Ericson 34 owner thinking of replacing the Origo double burner/oven combo with a simple Origo double burner top. Removal of the oven will open up realestate for an A/C unit, which I badly need in the summertime.

I haven't had a need to use the oven in the one year I've owned the boat, and don't foresee that changing. Am I making a mistake by removing the oven?

CTO

Emerald

I'd vote for keeping the oven. There's got to be another spot you can find for the A/C. I didn't think an oven was that big a deal until I started to use it. The first wake up was a sail on a cool fall day when crew brought a pot of chilly. While we're out sailing, the chili gets thrown in the oven for a reheat, we don't really have to worry about anyone tending the pot e.g. keeping it on the stove top as we heel, tack, etc. because it's contained in the oven, and a short while later a nice warm lunch appears top side with no hassle. Since then, many a pot of something that could reheat underway unattended has found its way into my little Origo oven :egrin:

Emerald

Oh, and Morgan is right, the keel is connected, and you have to rig an auxiliary strap if you remove it. Also, I'd add it might help convince someone other than guys to come on board for more than fishing and coffee and beer when food is mentioned.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To Bake or Not To Bake....

Olson/Ericson 34 owner thinking of replacing the Origo double burner/oven combo with a simple Origo double burner top. Removal of the oven will open up realestate for an A/C unit, which I badly need in the summertime.

I haven't had a need to use the oven in the one year I've owned the boat, and don't foresee that changing. Am I making a mistake by removing the oven?

CTO

What the "full teak furniture interior" Ericson gang may not realize is that storage (and other enclosed) space is more limited in the Olsons. We pay a price for that wide-open interior... (insert joke about "free range Olson sailors")
:)
Since other boats, including Ericsons in the Sun Belt, are sometimes shown with an air conditioner under their fore peak berth, I wonder if that area might work? Of course there goes the two big drawers...
Then there is the large port side laz. aft, but that's the only real cockpit storage we got, too... :rolleyes:
How 'bout one of those models that drops over the foreward hatch when at the dock?
Also, I have seen a $100. "window unit" replace the two lower hatch boards on several different boats. That might look a little less than "nautical" but if it works who cares?

The oven. We use ours every trip out for baking cookies and making cinnamon rolls. We could get by without it... but really like having it.

There is some good news about the Origo 6000. The two burner top can be retained and used while the oven is unfastened and removed for storage.
I'm not sure about retaining the gimbels. Unlike most other stoves, you could separate it, and we once did that after purchasing our boat and needing to clean up the whole thing.
If you did that, you would still have an operational "Origo model 3000" cook top, and just keep the oven module in storage for when or if you change your mind or sell the boat some day.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Rolf

Inactive Member

CTO

CT . . . what will you do with the oven once you remove it? Will you sell it? If so, for how much?

rolf

EGregerson

Member III
VA Humidity

If you haven't done the conversion yet...I just completed a conversion from cng to propane; I was just about to saw off the oven to realize the storage space underneath. I don't bake cookies; on the chesapeake you don't do anything that will add 1 btu of heat inside the boat. Indeed, I have been looking at the hatch mount A/C units to help keep things tolerable in the summer. I decided not to cut off the oven for now; thinking that the lack of weight below the gimbaled mount would just introduce a new problem. I've removed the guts of the oven and have pretty good storage space from that, as well as the Farraday cage. I'm curious as to what A/C setup you have in mind to install there.