Thermal insulation

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Has anyone tried to add any insulation to their hull? Most of my boat is bare fibreglass on the inside right now, which would be easy to line with something suitable before taking the boat through some more extreme climates than California.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Art Mullinax

Member III
Spray foam insulation

If you try one of the new canned spary foams be very careful. One of our members decided to use the home depot brand of spray foam. He drilled several small holes then proceeded to spray the foam. As the foam started to expand, so did the inner liner. Now the inner liner looks like a big ruffle potatoe chip!!! Also, what about the condensation problem between the insulation and hull?

Emerald

Hi Gareth,

I have not tried this, but it is based on my ice box. The prior owner put a thin e.g. 1/2" thick layer of foam insulation on the upper half of the inside. Looks like he glued it to the fiberglass. I had initially contemplated removing it, but Emerald has a dark green hull, and based on the temperatures when I've opened the hanging locker door in the winter time, I am thinking this insulation is badly needed. What I've decided to do is coat it with epoxy resin. I am pretty sure it won't eat the foam, but I will do a tiny test corner first. Something like this might be something you could try in non visual areas. My biggest concern would be creating a moisture trap. I think that's where the epoxy coating might work.

I've attached a picture I just happened to have of the inside of my icebox.

BTW, if anyone has first hand experience that this is a knucklehead idea, please say so! This is merely how I am figuring I am going to deal with my ice box and an existing situation, and thought it could be replicated on a larger scale

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Attachments

• icebox.jpg
    icebox.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
There is information on building refridgeration in the archives. My recommended easy solution is to line the inside of the box with Owens Corning Pink Foam (Home Depot). It does not absorb water, and can be layered together to be as thick as you want.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972