The Tally Ho project is coming along

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My wife and I got a kick out of the "we're not allowed to just slam things in" comment. There's so many poor system installations out there and it's easy to criticize them and write it off as a bad job by incompetent people. Maybe we read into that comment a little more than we should have, but it seems like he's saying they typically get systems in any way possible to get it done quickly and efficiently. The thought and prep work that went into the final layout is immense and impressive.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tally Ho is a Stradivarius, it's amazing the detail and determination for perfection.

I gulp every episode at the pure expense of everything, the bronze, the teak (!), the latest modernity of the systems, the traditional time-consuming methods (the spars, wow).

In addition to boatbuilding, the whole enterprise is a high-level demonstration of management, research, staffing, fund raising, documentary technique and most time-consuming of them all, near flawless video editing. The video alone requires 10s of thousands in gear, and more hours that anybody would believe in the editing bay.

We have all watched Leo grow, and maybe I mean age, with the project. His tone is more sober now. His grudging but still gleeful acceptance of homemade ads is touching. I sorta wish some overly rich sportsman would just quietly pick up the tab, and maybe they often do.

He clearly intends to continue his life on this boat, doing whatever such a boat can do, for all the right reasons. The guy at bottom is a romantic. Tally Ho will be dark and cramped and lovely in its old-fashioned way, but a far cry from a Lagoon 60 charter.

The story is that Leo sprang full blown from the sea, a shipwright who emerged from under a staircase. OK, but it may be more complicated than that, listening to his English and observing his personal bearing and ease with maths and design and impeccable taste. His father, Adrian French Goolden, is listed as a director of the Tally HO project, and also of Cardigan Mercantile Company, a British firm established in 1876. Not that there's, uh, anything wrong with that.

Oddly, there's apparently no Wikipedia entry on Leo. And the one on Tally Ho sorta misses the point.

One cool guy. At random:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I gulp every episode at the pure expense of everything, the bronze, the teak (!),
Truly.

I remember watching the episode when he laid out the cover boards. 10 planks, each comprising about 40 board feet of teak. That's 400 board feet when - at least retail pricing - teak was running about $110/board-foot. Yikes. I'd sweat bullets making that first cut.

But the main thing, as you say, is that the thoughtful planning and amazing craftsmanship, put on display through pretty competent video-work, adds up to a mesmerizing experience for the viewer.

B