The real scoop on dewinterization?

lightbulbjb

This past fall I bought an '85 E30+ - my first larger keelboat, first with holding tanks or an inboard engine. She's going in the water April 19th, and the reality is rapidly setting in that I have no idea how to dewinterize anything. The previous owner has been kind enough to give me his notes on the process, but some of it seems.... Questionable. Maybe I'm just ignorant, maybe his steps are fine, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding details on what others do to get their engines, tanks and tubes ready for splash down... I figured I'd ask here in attempt to verify what he told me...

Engine:
Pump the oil out,
Drain the line by hanging it up,
Refill with oil,
Reconnect seawater inlet,
open seacock
Turn it on and run it until antifreeze is out of the raw water system.

Fresh water and waste tanks:
Open the sea cocks,
Flush with fresh water until antifreeze is out

That's it, other than painting, which I already knew (and did). Seems too simple to be true. Also, wasn't sure about the parts where I flushed the antifreeze out into the lake, especially the waste tank... Thoughts?

Really appreciate any help or guidance.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
This past fall I bought an '85 E30+ - my first larger keelboat, first with holding tanks or an inboard engine. She's going in the water April 19th, and the reality is rapidly setting in that I have no idea how to dewinterize anything. The previous owner has been kind enough to give me his notes on the process, but some of it seems.... Questionable. Maybe I'm just ignorant, maybe his steps are fine, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding details on what others do to get their engines, tanks and tubes ready for splash down... I figured I'd ask here in attempt to verify what he told me...

Engine:
Pump the oil out,
Refill with oil,
open seacock

Open the sea cocks,

Engine:
Pump the oil out,
Refill with oil,
open seacock

Open the sea cocks,

That's it, other than painting, which I already knew (and did). Seems too simple to be true. Also, wasn't sure about the parts where I flushed the antifreeze out into the lake, especially the waste tank... Thoughts?

Hi,
It's exciting to start the sailing season with a new boat, especially one as nice as an E30+. If you don't know much about keel boats, diesel engines, etc. I suggest you buy Nigel Calder's book titled Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual. In my opinion it's among the best at providing detailed guidance and troubleshooting and a "must" to have on board when problems arise. He covers everything about de-winterizing, as well as about all systems and "how to" information with pictures.
I would also suggest sitting down over a beer with an experienced boat owner to discuss what should be done before you launch, and he might even give you a hand or be available if you run into difficulty.
Good luck, and feel free to ask questions on this site--there are lots of knowledgeable sailors, mechanics, riggers, etc. who are happy to provide advice.
Frank

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Well that basically is "it" for those systems, but there's a lot of other things to check as well before setting sail. Do you have a hot water heater, and does it have antifreeze in it? If so DO NOT turn on the hot water heater until the antifreeze has been flushed out. Just fill it with water, drain it through the hot water spigot at the sink without the heater on.

As for the waste tank, that shouldn't be flushed into the lake regardless of antifreeze. That needs to be pumped out at a dock or with a pumpout boat. (Unless you're in a location that allows for overboard discharge.) The antifreeze is likely considered non-toxic, so after adding all that water and flushing out the tanks, no need to worry about it being discharged in the lake.

Also, for the oil, was it changed prior to being pulled out/winterized? No need to change it again if so. I change the oil at the end of the season so that the old oil isn't sitting in the engine for 5-6 months without being used. I'm not sure what "drain the line by hanging it up" means. :)

This is a basic dewinterizing list - applies to more than just sailboats - but a quick Google search will give you many more options. https://www.westmarine.com/west-advisor/How-to-Dewinterize-a-Boat.html. Have a great time with your new toy. This Ericson site is an invaluable resource with many people willing to help.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I would include checking the engine antifreeze level (engine cooling not winterization) prior to startup, run the engine up to temperature and test forward and reverse gears while tied up, throttle up and back etc. prior to venturing out. While engine is warming up do a leak check of the cooling and fuel systems. Also leak check all hoses and through hulls and cycle the thru hull handles. And finally do a rigging check of all cotter pins. I just found a cotter pin missing from my boom to gooseneck connection!

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I addition to what others have said above (especially about doing oil and filter changes in Fall), spring is a great time to replace your raw water pump impeller and check/change your heat exchanger anode (if engine is freshwater (antifreeze) cooled). Good time to change the joker valve in the head too.

We always flush the drinking water and engine systems on the hard, into a bucket, so the majority of the antifreeze doesn't go into the lake. Run a hose or use a funnel and bucket to run water through the engine system.
I never bother with the head since it's just going to get pumped out eventually anyway.

lightbulbjb

Thank you guys for all the great advice. Ordered the book Frank recommended - should get here tomorrow, and I'm excited to dig into it. Hadn't thought of the water heater - I'm honestly considering ripping it out and getting a small tankless/on-demand heater. I knew it sounded super fishy to flush the waste overboard - glad I asked. Will definitely take my time carefully going thru the engine checks you guys mentioned.

lightbulbjb

I addition to what others have said above (especially about doing oil and filter changes in Fall), spring is a great time to replace your raw water pump impeller and check/change your heat exchanger anode (if engine is freshwater (antifreeze) cooled). Good time to change the joker valve in the head too.

We always flush the drinking water and engine systems on the hard, into a bucket, so the majority of the antifreeze doesn't go into the lake. Run a hose or use a funnel and bucket to run water through the engine system.
I never bother with the head since it's just going to get pumped out eventually anyway.
Is there like... Are impellers and filters like standard parts, or do i need specific ones for my engine? The boat is on the hard about 4 hours away, and I'm planning on going to do work next weekend - it's most efficient to buy parts ahead if possible, so just wondering what stuff I can start looking for and purchase now, vs what I have to wait until I get back out to the boat in Chicago to get.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
You will need to buy those parts for your particular engine. There were two engines initially used in the E30+, a 12 hp and a 16 HP, if I recall correctly.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
I'm honestly considering ripping it out and getting a small tankless/on-demand heater.
Not sure what you have in mind, with this. The usual water heaters have a storage tank for holding hot water over a period of time for use as needed, having been heated either by electric element, or by engine cooling water. "On-demand" heaters need a relatively large energy input of short duration, which is not typically available from most small sailboat systems. Of course, if you intend to use hot water only when plugged in to shore power, an on-demand heater could serve just fine.

As to de-winterizing, once you have flushed out all of the anti-freeze, and have the water pressure system working, check for leaks where ever you can, just in case something broke or got loose over the winter. With the pressure pump on, and no taps open, leaks will reveal themselves by causing the pump to cycle on periodically.

lightbulbjb

Yeah I think the intent was just to have hot water on shore power. At the very least removing the hot water tank would give me room to climb down into the lazarette. Prolly will evaluate for a season before i do anything drastic tho.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Yeah I think the intent was just to have hot water on shore power. At the very least removing the hot water tank would give me room to climb down into the lazarette. Prolly will evaluate for a season before i do anything drastic tho.
If the current hot water tank is functional, you might want to reconsider ripping it out. Along with shore power heating the water, the engine does a great job when you're not connected to shore power. Not sure what you'd gain with an on-demand heater. It might not even save you that much space.

Definitely look into changing the impeller, especially if the previous owner isn't sure when it was last replaced. You don't want those broken rubber bits getting sucked into the engine and really gumming up the works.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In addition to the usual list of mechanical preparations for a new boating season - engine/trans lube, cooling, checking all wiring connections, there are the "utilities" that go with spending time and overnighting on board your small second home.
Water system - pump & tank & hoses, head and associated hoses, and then a few "safety" items that are needed to use of the boat and also can play a role in your boat's insurability.
Get your Vessel Safety Check done and the 2024 tag adhered to the mast. Take your fire extinguishers in and get them formally inspected, weighed, and tagged. Are your numbers (or name/hailing port lettering if documented) on and legible? New '24 or '25 sticker in place?

Nothing really arduous on this short list, just items to get done before heading out to cruise or hit the first starting line of the season.

Edit: I also go around the deck and apply some "MacLube" to all sheave axles, spinnaker pole end moving parts, and also the stacked main sail slugs. Gotta say, the Harken folks did such a good design job that a good rinsing seems to keep their traveler moving very well.

Last edited:

lightbulbjb

If the current hot water tank is functional, you might want to reconsider ripping it out. Along with shore power heating the water, the engine does a great job when you're not connected to shore power. Not sure what you'd gain with an on-demand heater. It might not even save you that much space.

Definitely look into changing the impeller, especially if the previous owner isn't sure when it was last replaced. You don't want those broken rubber bits getting sucked into the engine and really gumming up the works.
Fair enough. I'm not certain the current setup is plumbed to heat from the engine, but will take a look and rethink my plan. I really just need a way to get down in there without going in headfirst like I've been doing - it's a long drop onto my neck if I screw up

I just did a diesel engine seminar with Nigel Calder which taught me a lot - I've got a whole bunch of engine chores added to my list, and thats just after the first session of the seminar.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Thank you guys for all the great advice. Ordered the book Frank recommended - should get here tomorrow, and I'm excited to dig into it. Hadn't thought of the water heater - I'm honestly considering ripping it out and getting a small tankless/on-demand heater. I knew it sounded super fishy to flush the waste overboard - glad I asked. Will definitely take my time carefully going thru the engine checks you guys mentioned.
Nigel Calder's book should be sold with every boat. I am not sure a tankless water heater is going to be a sensible option on a boat. The water heater on a boat is a great way to save energy that might be needed to heat water. Also it can be a bit of a safety factor in overheat situations. You are on the right track of researching and understanding your boat.

ddoles

Member III
The list from the PO refers to "dewinterizing", which seems to be limited to undoing the winterization steps and is therefore rather short. In the spring I typically think of the list of chores as spring commissioning, which includes a lot of routine maintenance that is good to do every year and the spring is a good time to get it done, especially with the boat on the hard. Here's a few other commissioning chores that I don't think have been mentioned: Replace underwater zincs. Wash and wax hull. Inspect and clean prop. Thorough cleaning of the boat interior (a closed up boat in the winter can get funky). Tune mast. Lubricate rudder post and steering cables. Check expiration date on flares and replace as needed. Clean and lubricate winches. And I'm sure there are more. Welcome to boat ownership.