The death of another Ericson

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
An 86' E28/2 was abandoned at the marina where we keep our boat. Vessel has been on the hard for at least 3 years. Asked one of the yard workers about it today, it seems he just drilled a hole through the bottom to let all of the water and oil out of it. It was full of water all last winter and we in the northeast all know what that means. The marina doesn't own the boat yet but will eventually. The plan is to crush it. I talked with the management and let them know I was interested in salvaging things from the boat before they destroy it. I'll save what I can as long as the cost is reasonable.

Red Squirrel

1985 Ericson 28-2 Hull# 607
An 86' E28/2 was abandoned at the marina where we keep our boat. Vessel has been on the hard for at least 3 years. Asked one of the yard workers about it today, it seems he just drilled a hole through the bottom to let all of the water and oil out of it. It was full of water all last winter and we in the northeast all know what that means. The marina doesn't own the boat yet but will eventually. The plan is to crush it. I talked with the management and let them know I was interested in salvaging things from the boat before they destroy it. I'll save what I can as long as the cost is reasonable.

That is really sad....
If it has a M-12, get the exhaust manifold. Westerbeke no longer sells it.

Any chance the long fixed port lights are still good?
Also the anchor locker lid?
i’d be interested in those...send pics and what your price is.

thanks

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Somebody might be able to use other no-longer-made parts,too, like the boom-end castings, gooseneck, etc.

Red Squirrel

I also forgot...
the companion way sliding hatch.
i’d be interested it that as well. Mine is cracked and chipped

Red Squirrel

There could be some that would love to get there hands on a YS
Merriman pedistal. It is a cast custom piece.

kapnkd

kapnkd

So sad when once great boats fall on hard times due to neglect from whatever reasons by their owners.

Reading the various comments of interest in all the potential parts a fallen vessel may offer, it sounds imperative that marinas and yards realize the possible significant options they have in recouping their lost revenues in yard bills and storage to those of us who still maintain and restore our now older vessels.

We are not unlike those in the very beginning who restored junk cars into now valuable classics. A worthy consideration given the price of new boats compared to older boats.

kapnkd

kapnkd

There is also another E-32 Mk II where I am here in SE MI. owned by a friend from our club who fell on hard times due to the pre-Trump economy. He had to leave our club, then shrink wrapped the boat and it has now sat in a cheaper storage lot for several years. We’ve lost contact with him and meanwhile the boat just sits! It was not in that bad a shape when it went into storage but I fear time IS taking its toll. :esad:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Fingers are crossed

It remains to be seen exactly how cooperative the marina will be. The ownership question has to be resolved. I'm sure that the storage fees are getting up there. These are hard nosed business guys and if I'm too interested the price for everything will certainly go up. The $ producing space in the yard is more valuable to them than a derelict boat. That being said they'll want the max they can get and they're not in the business of doing favors. There are a lot of empty slips and moorings and boats still on the hard around here so difficult to tell how the season is going profit wise. In any case, I doubt that anything will happen until late fall when storage space is at a premium.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It remains to be seen exactly how cooperative the marina will be. The ownership question has to be resolved. I'm sure that the storage fees are getting up there. These are hard nosed business guys and if I'm too interested the price for everything will certainly go up. The $ producing space in the yard is more valuable to them than a derelict boat. That being said they'll want the max they can get and they're not in the business of doing favors. There are a lot of empty slips and moorings and boats still on the hard around here so difficult to tell how the season is going profit wise. In any case, I doubt that anything will happen until late fall when storage space is at a premium.

My guess is that until they can legally take title, they will neither part it our or saw it up. Too much liability.
(Our little YC is dealing with an abandoned boat right now, and getting possession is going to end up costing us some un-budgeted legal fees. Once we get legal passion, we will sell it pronto, and for very little money in it's dilapidated condition. Doubly sad, because it's a small Ericson) :(

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Old boats aren't worth beans

Kap, No direct comparison between classic cars and "classic" boats. Don't see any big old boat auctions on TV drawing massive $$$ with throngs of folks in the crowd. Not much money in the salvage business here in the hinterlands. Maybe in hot spots on the coasts but not in this neck of the woods. Had a chance to visit Bacon's last year and truly did not find much usable or of interest.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Kap, No direct comparison between classic cars and "classic" boats. Don't see any big old boat auctions on TV drawing massive $$$ with throngs of folks in the crowd. Not much money in the salvage business here in the hinterlands. Maybe in hot spots on the coasts but not in this neck of the woods. Had a chance to visit Bacon's last year and truly did not find much usable or of interest.

Of course not, my point is missed (my fault). As a very long time owner of a 67 Vette, I’ve seen how prices on cars has appreciated astronomically beyond what boats would ever do.

Instead of simply cutting up these older boats, there are parts on them no longer available such as windows/ports, deck mast steps, bow caps, interior cabinet doors and drawers, etc etc. that wouldn’t take up much yard room but could be sold to recoup their yard fees. In this day and age of the Internet, it’s easy to advertise an inventory of used boat parts.

...Certainly not all older boats but the likes of Ericson, Pearson, Tartan, C&C to name a few still have a following that create a need for outdated parts

Last edited:

Starduff

Member II
Old Boats

From the perspective of another E-28 (1987) owner this is just another of many sad stories. As an older friend at our little club once said "it is easier to buy a boat than to sell one". We, as does the local marina, also have abandoned boats from time to time.

Polonius
E-28
1987, Hull 651