The Customer Had No Clue

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would have guessed that vibration from the missing piece of blade would have been really noticeable. Wow.:confused:

If this owner checks in here, I would imagine that his question will be about where, after all these years, to find a duplicate casting. This comes up regularly regarding a source for struts for boats built long ago, and usually the plug for the casting is long gone, too. Heck, the foundry might be gone too... (sigh)

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Happened to me when our boat was around 10 years old (‘83).

Our prop didn’t strike the hull or break but obviously the cracked strut had to be replaced. It’s a lot of work to chip and grind away the glass to get to the encased base yet isn’t as bad a job as it sounds our you would think.

Hopefully you’ve got a place where you can do your own work to avoid the high labor costs.
Good luck!!!

fstbttms

Professional Hull Diver
Happened to me when our boat was around 10 years old (‘83).

Our prop didn’t strike the hull or break but obviously the cracked strut had to be replaced. It’s a lot of work to chip and grind away the glass to get to the encased base yet isn’t as bad a job as it sounds our you would think.

Hopefully you’ve got a place where you can do your own work to avoid the high labor costs.
Good luck!!!

This isn't my boat, it's a customer's boat. :D

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If this owner checks in here, I would imagine that his question will be about where, after all these years, to find a duplicate casting. This comes up regularly regarding a source for struts for boats built long ago, and usually the plug for the casting is long gone, too. Heck, the foundry might be gone too... (sigh)
There is hope! Marine Hardware in Washington apparently has many of the strut patterns for Ericsons. They had one for my 30+ which turned out to be very close to the original. Link to blog about replacing the strut: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/1984-e30-strut-replacement-part-1.471/

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Or maybe he did know something was up and used the cleaning service instead of a haul out. Did you end up cleaning the bottom? ;)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seems to me when the strut goes and the prop hits the hull and breaks a blade, the shaft becomes a pretzel.

Surprised the boat got back to the slip.
I wonder about that, too.
Also, I am thinking that a bronze prop (or any other part) is highly unlikely to just break off. I could imagine it bending if it strikes something like a dead head, but shearing off like that would cause me to inspect all the pieces once the boat is on the hard for "dezincification" to observe if the broken parts are turning pink. Once a bronze part gets attacked by electrolysis, it gets really weak.
Apologies if my terminology is incorrect. I have seen this sort of color change on a bronze prop, up close, and the memory lingers.
I kind of wonder which part broke first. If the strut was weakened and broke, then the prop shaft could whip around and the (presumably weak and pink) prop would strike the hull.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I'm working on a boat that was owned by a financial guy who has zero clue about things mechanical, so can totally believe that as long as the engine ran and boat made way, an owner would press on regardless.

:rolleyes:

You would not believe some of the sh!t I saw investigating accidents. Some were actually encouraging to see how far things could go before breaking.

fstbttms

Professional Hull Diver
Or maybe he did know something was up and used the cleaning service instead of a haul out.

We had dived this boat for the previous owner last year and the strut was broken then. The current owner motored the boat from Oakland to Berkeley last month with it in that condition. I believe this is when the prop broke. What would the current owner have gained by hiring a dive service instead of hauling out?

Last edited:

fstbttms

Professional Hull Diver
I am thinking that a bronze prop (or any other part) is highly unlikely to just break off. I could imagine it bending if it strikes something like a dead head, but shearing off like that would cause me to inspect all the pieces once the boat is on the hard for "dezincification" to observe if the broken parts are turning pink. Once a bronze part gets attacked by electrolysis, it gets really weak.

The strut was broken when we dived this boat for the previous owner last year. Based on the overall lack of maintenance, dezincification of the prop and strut is highly likely and probably why both parts were damaged.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The strut was broken when we dived this boat for the previous owner last year. Based on the overall lack of maintenance, dezincification of the prop and strut is highly likely and probably why both parts were damaged.
As the saying goes: "Good Grief" !!
:(
I wonder if the current owner bought it knowing that, and just shrugged off the obvious problem? Several owners here have changed out a broken strut or re-glassed a loose strut, and it takes some hired labor or some serious time if it's you doing the work.
Yikes.

As a group we will always do our best to advise an owner about what solutions he/she can choose from, and we will do our best if asked. Sounds like this person is about to become a more knowledgeable DIY owner or about to write a rather large check to a boat yard. (Sigh....)

And, thanks again for logging in at our little "Viking Corner" of the sailing internet!

:egrin:

Last edited: