The Clevis Pin Controversy

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, maybe not much of a controversy, but I was recently caught out saying "cleevis" pin.

Had to look it up and found zero support (it's clevis, short "e").

But wait a minute--I learned it as 'cleevis." Anybody else?

I do take refuge behind a wisecrack: "I asked a zebra which was the correct pronunciation, and he agreed with me."

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Absolutely long E. The general rule of english pronunciation is that when a vowel is followed by a single consonant followed by a vowel, the first vowel is long.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Absolutely long E. The general rule of english pronunciation is that when a vowel is followed by a single consonant followed by a vowel, the first vowel is long.
Yeah, but English language is strange, lots of exceptions, nothing rational. Clevis is with a short e. Sorry.
Frank

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Short 'e' for me. 20-ish years Midwest. Nigh on 50 in New England. Language is a fascinating and beautiful thing. Is there a philologist in the house?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Long e here… only overheard the short e version recently at a hardware store.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The cotter goes into the clevis. Clever. The vessel with the pestle on the other hand....

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Wow. Sailed on three coasts, north west and east, and never heard “Cleevis.”

Sounds like Clevis might be Clutthead’s friend?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I was raise in NJ and my dad was a machinist for more than 40 years. My brother, until very recently was the National Parts Manager for Subaru, USA. Neither of them ever said “cleevis” when referring to that pin so I was taught to use the short “e” version.