The all important galley sink drain hose to thru-hull...

37stories

James A.Burton
Fisheries has numerous hoses....which one is the correct hose for this application? Present one looks heavy duty corrugated rubber...need to replace. Which hose product should I order? I don't want to skimp on this "sink your boat" hose.......Thanks
I've used a radiator hose on mine. At the time money was tight, but its solid, durable.,and has lasted for quite a few years. I pulled out the wire,and its ridged but flexible

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I used Trident 101. It's the same stuff I used on the Head drains. You need to use a marine rated hose. The radiator hose will work but you will be dinged in a survey that is periodically required by your Insurance company. The ding is not worth the small savings in substituting the hose. The surveyor specifically looked for marine rated hoses during my survey.

David Grimm

E38-200
I used the white pvc stuff similar to Christian. You can buy it at a marine retailer or Lowes. It's used for hot tubs and inground swimming pools. It's expensive, somewhat flexible, can handle chemicals and way more psi then it will ever encounter in a boat.

Pete the Cat

Member III
Don't like the old corrugated bilge hose on any through hull fitting that is underwater. The stuff will crack at some point as it gets old. If you remove an old hose, chances are it will split in the process--I have actually had the new stuff crack when installing it on an above the water line blige pump recently---I am wondering where they are sourcing the stuff these days. I took a length of new hose back to Svendsens to show them that the stuff was so thin that it cracked if bent more than 20 degrees--they decided to take it to Trident to see what is going on. For the added cost of sanitary or exhaust hose the risk of fracture simply is not worth it. I am surprised if there is not an ABYC regulation on this--but I am not current.
BTW--on Marlon through hull fittings: I discovered that Ericson used some 90 degree fittings in the Marlon valve that are just poor quality black plastic--not Marlon or nylon. One of them shattered into dozens of pieces when I attempted to turn it out by hand---it was 30 years old, but I was shocked that the material was so brittle I ended up with a handful of plastic chunks. Fortunately, I can wait to my next haulout to fix it. I still like Marlon, but am more cautious about what is put on the valves.
FWIW

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I agree with Tin Kicker. I replaced all Discovery's thru-hulls with Marelon valves and open and close valves each time on the boat and lube twoce a season.

Ed Valente

Member II
I replaced the original corrugated hoses with this sanitation hose a couple years ago. Had I realized how brittle the originals were, I’d have replaced them years ago.
Of course, this 15 minute task let to a grand scale “may as well replace them all” project (like so many others).

Attachments

• FA00EE03-FE3E-46CE-85FD-D02D2C936B9F.jpeg
    FA00EE03-FE3E-46CE-85FD-D02D2C936B9F.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 36

windblown

Member III
I replaced the original corrugated hoses with this sanitation hose a couple years ago. Had I realized how brittle the originals were, I’d have replaced them years ago.
Of course, this 15 minute task let to a grand scale “may as well replace them all” project (like so many others).
Love that handy shelf for oil/fluids, Ed.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just an odd observation: The through-hulls below my galley sink are contained beneath a "bilge locker" molded into the liner pan. But of course, since the galley sink drain hose goes through that opening, no lid can be placed on it. There is a lip molded all around, to hold one though. Just like all the other openings to the bilge. I wonder if that means that the sink was considered "optional?" Do some boats not have one? Or if there was some other tricky way to route the hose.
Although it would be tempting to reclaim the storage space in that cabinet, I've been reluctant to make anything to cover the opening. Because it would accumulate Stuff. Which would have to be removed to get at the through-hull valves.