Temp Gauge Maxed Out - Short Somehwere

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Coming back from three day sail and engine temp reads maxed (although engine is running cool). There must be a short somewhere.

Any ideas on how to find the short?

Paging Mr Metzger to the white courtesy phone! Paging Mr Beach to the blue courtesy phone! Paging Mr Williams to the bar!:nerd:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Damn Rick! It's a weekend and after the start of happy hour. This is double time and a half.

The sender is bad. Measure it with an ohmmeter to the engine ground. If it reads 0 ohms +/- it's dead.

Here is a guide: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=842

It may be time for me to make another visit to the Redneck Riviera to start collecting/exercising my liver.

A double Cruzan dark for you my friend for sure.

I thought when it “pegs” it’s a short.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It's all the same and true. The meter pegs because there is too little resistance, commonly called a short circuit. The sender's resistance may not be very close to zero ohms, or it may be.

Regardless, it's dead.

New sender on the way.

Questions:

1) Just unscrew the old one, let the coolant drain out, install new sender and top off coolant?
2) I’ve read not to use Teflon tape on the threads, what if anything do I put on the new one before screwing it in?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
New sender on the way.

Questions:

1) Just unscrew the old one, let the coolant drain out, install new sender and top off coolant?
2) I’ve read not to use Teflon tape on the threads, what if anything do I put on the new one before screwing it in?

A little love would work. Don't use anything that would insulate the sender from the engine ground. Ditto for the oil pressure switch or sender.