Tall or Standard Rigging?

harrismd80

I'm thinking of getting a new main sail and Quantum wants the J, P, E, I measurements. It says in the E29 Manual under tall rigging that "mast and boom sections are the same as standard rigging." How do I tell if my E29 is standard or tall rigging?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

clp

Member III
Go cautiously here, because I may be wrong on this, but I think the tall rig has twin spreaders on it, whereas the 'short rig' only has one. I think.

harrismd80

Interesting

Go cautiously here, because I may be wrong on this, but I think the tall rig has twin spreaders on it, whereas the 'short rig' only has one. I think.

That is interesting. That would make sense to me, but has anyone seen a E29 with two spreaders on it? I think I'm the only one in my area that has a 29 foot so I know I haven't. Maybe someone knows where I could look on the internet to check this out. Thanks for replying so quickly.

:egrin:

PDX

Member III
Don't know about double spreader or not. But the P dimension of the standard rig is supposed to be 30.54 feet. I haven't seen the P dimension for the 29 tall. If you measure your main and the luff measures less than 30.54 feet (the actual luff should measure less than the stated "P") yours is standard.

missalot

Member II
My 1970 29' has the tall rig and has double spreaders. From my PHRF-NW cert. Standard rig dimensions. I=38.30, J=12.25, P=32.5, E=9.92. Actual measurements of my main. E=9.83, P=31.75, Mid girth=5.61, upper girth = 3.38.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I'm thinking of getting a new main sail and Quantum wants the J, P, E, I measurements. It says in the E29 Manual under tall rigging that "mast and boom sections are the same as standard rigging." How do I tell if my E29 is standard or tall rigging?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

That comment refers to the mast and boom SECTIONS, meaning the shape and thickness of the aluminum tubes. Has nothing to do with sail dimensions. No matter what you read or find on line, you need to confirm the measurements by actually measuring the boat. There is nothing worse than having your brand new sails not fit the boat...I have numerous posts on this site explaining how to do it, and in fact Quantum should have instructions (a form actually) for measuring on their website or the salesperson can send it to you.

Let me know if you don't find it.

Cheers

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Quantum just wants the numbers for a quote, right? Because you will want the rep to measure the boat himself for the actual sails. Things are better all around that way.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
probably

Quantum just wants the numbers for a quote, right? Because you will want the rep to measure the boat himself for the actual sails. Things are better all around that way.
This is likely the case, but just to be sure you get the correct quote it would be wise to at least get rough numbers so everyone is on the same page. ..

frick

Member III
Tall Rig

I would run a tape measure before ordering a new sail.
When I bought my new Doyle Main, the guys came out and measured just to double check.
Rick
E29 1971

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My 1978 E29 has single spreaders. The boom on the tall rig is shorter than the standard, The standard boom is around 12' and the tall is about 10'. Measure the boat not the sail as the boltrope in the old sail may have shrank, my old main was 6" short on the luff and 4" short on the foot. You will notice puckers in the sailcloth over the boltrope if that is the case.