Suspect stuffing box

737800FO

Member I
Getting a little more water in the bilge lately and I suspect that I've got a stuffing box that needs adjustment. I understand what I need to do the tighten it, but my question is how the heck do I get at it? I've got an E-27 and without being a contortionist, I just dont know how I'm going to get to it. Thanks,

Mark Sturgill
E-27

Jack&MJ

E-27 Stuffing Box (Reply)

Getting a little more water in the bilge lately and I suspect that I've got a stuffing box that needs adjustment. I understand what I need to do the tighten it, but my question is how the heck do I get at it? I've got an E-27 and without being a contortionist, I just dont know how I'm going to get to it. Thanks,

Mark Sturgill
E-27

Mark: I have a 1977 E-27 and experienced the same problem. I used plumber's grips (2) and had help. One person gripped the front adjustment from the engine front and the other person (me) gripped the adjustment from the opening in the starboard engine compartment (disc that unscrews). Repacking the stuffing box worked well. Tool about two hours because of the confined space and difficulty keeping a grip on the shaft. Good luck.

Jack Sornberger
Hampton, Viriginia