Sunglasses

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I've had every manufacturers shades and still think

Maui Jim's are the best. they are expensive but well worth it. I used to be sponsored by Smith Optics back in my cycling days and they have great shades as well bu for the water it maui jim all the way.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Last edited:

ducksandfish

Two I havn't noticed mentioned.I really like and have great results with are Bolle and Costa Del Mar.The ones I purcase are in the one hundred to two hundred and fifty dollar range.Most styles if not all are polarized and work great for fishing and sailing.

steven

Sustaining Member
update on Serengetti. Two more pair within a week have popped a lens from the frame. I now have a draw full of parts.
Great lenses - but not worth the cost if they fall apart due to the cheap cheap frames. I'm done with this brand.

Anyway . . . I tried a pair of acrylic clear bifocals recently. Lens technology seems to have gotten really good. And frames seem indestructible (a relative term). So maybe it's time a let go of my commitment to glass. Thinking Bolle or Oakley.

rjanders

Member I
Bifocal sunglasses

I have recently found stick on bifocal lenses so you can turn any sunglasses into bifocals. As far as sunglasses go it is Oakley all the way, good quality and rugged.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
After ten years, I went back to the Maui Jim's, due to my recent (temporary) escape to Costa Rica. Same style I had before. Yes, they are like a breath of fresh air to the eyes. But damn- now that same style is $230. So far, I've been keeping them on some totally rad tropical bird pattern croakies. When I go into restaurants for dinner or something, I've been turning it around backwards and parking them on the back of my neck. Never put them down in random places. So far, so good, but I can already feel the hinges getting a bit loose.

BTW: There was no way I was risking them in the surf, especially considering my "skill" level at surfing. Tropical sun or no - I just squinted.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
BTW: As alluded to above - as long as the lenses are OK, you can send the broken parts of Maui Jims (and probably most other expensive brands) back to be repaired for much less than the cost of a new pair. My first pair broke in two at the nose and I think it cost something like $50 to have the lenses put into new frames.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I understand saving sunglasses parts. Comes in handy potentially, although rather more seldomly than expectedly.
sunglasses.jpg

I don't understand why when you call a psychiatrist and say you own a sailboat they hang up immediately.