Sub bilge?

clohman

Member II
On my 1986 32', my shower bilge appears to drain into the main bilge through an inboard 1.5" hole beneath the teak grate in the head. Upon closer inspection, however, when adding antifreeze to the shower bilge, I could not detect the "purple stuff" draining into either the mast bilge or the main bilge, leading me to wonder if there's a "sub bilge" beneath the triaxial "floor" that I can see when looking into the bilge compartments (the same areas that house the keel bolts). There appears to be a plugged hole (white polysulfide) in the forward port corner of my mast bilge - the corner closest to the head - but I can't imagine why this would have been plugged.

Before I begin another wild goose chase, I'd appreciate any insights or lessons learned.

Thanks,

Tazman

Member I
Tazman is a 1985 32' Ericson and she has a seperate bilge and pump. It sits right behind the mast and in front of the main bilge.:egrin:

clohman

Member II
Same on the 1986, but I'm curious about the drain path from the shower to the mast bilge.

Thanks,

ref_123

Member III
It's that plug...

Yeap, on our 1986 E32-3 that drain comes in upper-left corner of the mast bilge... So, - yes, the plug you see just may be closing that hole. Now, I do not know if there is a tube inside or it's just two holes on different sides of TFG(?) structure; if it's the latter, it probably can hold quite a few gallons of grey water. Why someone would do that - no idea.

Best regards,
Stan

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Shower Bilge Scum

Humm - after re-reading this thread it sounds like your setup is totally different than the 35-3... No matter - after nine minutes of typing, here's what I wrote for those wanting to kill their scummy shower pans and bilges...so forgive me if I'm a little off topic here (non-32-specific)...

:offtopic:

I know on my 86' 35-3 the shower pan had a small 'bilge' that drained into the shower bilge - where a sump pump spat it out once in a while.... Sounds like what you're describing..

In my case, the bottom of the shower pan bilge was about 1/2" (or perhaps a little less) below the drain to the main shower bilge - leaving some amount of scummy shower water in it after people used it (very gross). I also hated the shower bilge itself - as some amount of scum was left there as well - a source of odor and moisture.

Between the pan and the shower bilge was (originally) a small section of pvc. Perhaps your stuff is running around that piece, and down below/around the grid. If you look with a mirror by the shower bilge - under the cabin sole, you should see an outlet (if yours was set up like mine).

I solved the entire problem by first glassing in the base of the shower pan bilge so that the drain hole was lower than the rest of it (leaves nothing behind). I then ran it into a 1" pvc pipe (which was itself was set by epoxy into the pan - then glassed in) through a check valve and then to a Water Wolf pump which I placed in the (now dried out and repainted) shower bilge. A pull switch in the shower stall completed the job.

Operation; told the guests to - use the shower until you see water around your feet - pull the switch and wait to hear that 'sucking sound' - turn off the switch. When finished showering, run some extra fresh through the line to clear it.

• No water in the shower pan.
  • No water in the shower bilge.
  • Clean water in the line, combined with check valve ensures priming.
  • ZERO smell.
  • ZERO scum.
Let us know what you find out - the whole setup of the shower bilge always had me scratching my head (bad design). What you're describing sounds more serious (sending water into the grid)...

//sse

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
There is an area of the bilge lower than the visible bilge(s) (all my visible bilges are connected with limber holes cut through the TFG). You can "access" it by removing the teak trim in front of the mast where you will find a hole that is used to gain access to the forward most keel bolt. Because the cavity is lower than the visible bilges it collects water which stagnates and probably corrodes the hell out of the bolt. I use a hand pump (through the hole in front of the mast) to perodically remove the water that collects there. Having torn out my cabin sole, I can attest that there is no other access (except perhaps through the port settee). Not a good design.

clohman

Member II
Which keel do you have, Geoff? I have the 6' fin (since cut to 4.5' with a Mars bulb added). I'm wondering if all Ericson 32's have a keel bolt forward of the mast.

Thanks for everyone's input - most helpful.

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
32 with shoal keel

I've got the shoal draft keel and have the same set up Geoff mentions - I also perodically pump the water from this 'hidden bilge'. Not a great design feature and since Geoff didn't find any other access to it while he had his cabin sole out it's unlikely there is any other good access. I haven't been able to find any other access.