Stove

rjuhl

hello, I recently purchased an Ericson 29, 1979. I am trying to find a replacment gimbled alcohol stove. Where can I purchase one or find a replacemnt......?

Thanks
Randy

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cooking options...

Finding a replacement (pressure) alcohol stove should be super easy at any marine second hand store or swap meet. Price will be slightly higher than free, but not too much.
These were common on thousands of production boats in that era. Note that they are considered a fire hazzard because any flameup of the pressurized alcohol is near-invisible. One can have a substantial fire going before seeing it...
:(

Nowadays many have been converted to LPG. The conversion process is somewhat labor-intensive and costly, but must be done right in order to be safe from explosion hazzard. I have done one such "full Monty" conversion, on our previous boat.

"Plan B" is to put in a NON-pressurized alcohol stove, i.e. the Origo. Here is a link: http://www.origo-sweden.com/products_f.html

Our current boat, an '88 model, came with a model 6000 Origo, and we like it too much to ever go thru the work to put in an LPG system.
FWIW, another boater in our YC threw out an old LPG system and installed an Origo stove. He likes the simplicity and lack of worry regarding fire or explosion.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

:egrin:

Last edited: