Stern pulpit

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cannot say for sure about your Ericson, but when I was very young (i.e. in the early 50's), new automobiles did not come with wipers and heaters as "standard" equipment, even though most purchasers paid to have this option.

When we bought our first new sailboat, in the mid-70's, lifelines and pulpits were optional. By the 80's, the requirements of racing for such safety-related stuff were being integrated into defacto standards for most production boats, AFAIK.
That's also the reason that the distance between stanchions became "standardized" -- the racing rules started requiring a certain minimum distance between.
:rolleyes:
I would guess that as more sailors entered the sport at the "second home" level rather than coming through the small-boat racing door, expectations of what should be standard were continually expanding.

Remember when a little company called Hunter scored a big sales PR move by putting a set of lines, fenders, PFD's, and minimal anchor gear on *all* their cruising-designated boats in the late 70's? The package was called the "Cruise Pack." Other builders laughed, and then were forced to compete with 'em.

Perhaps the early smaller Ericsons listed the pulpits as a common but not a "standard" install. :confused:

Guesses given, desposit .01 US$ please.

Loren
;)