Sterling regulator

cawinter

Member III
I read this recent article by Niger Calder about Sterling regulators. One of the big mags. Who would have thought?
Essence: don't go fancy on alternators or batteries, use to the MAX what you have. As usual great writing.

I did a bit of searching in the archives, but nothing popped out.

Question: Has anyone removed the regulator from the Motorola 55A and installed a high-capacity regulator? 3 stage and equalization, different battery times, temp sensors for alternator and batteries... Pretty cool stuff! My brother installed another Sterling unit in his rv, and he was always suggesting that for me. I gave him the Balmar expensive solution; if the alternator can handle it, this would be much cheaper...

Thoughts?

cawinter

Member III
51 views and no reply, not even from Tom Metzger? :)
I'll investigate a bit more, but now I am distracted again by the new 40 year old Dyer Midget I just bought... ;-)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have not (yet) done this modification on our Motorola 50 amp alt, but there is a well-regarded shop here that routinely converts alternators like ours to "unregulated" to allow the use of an external regulator.
The owner tells me that very few are ever brought back with any complaint, and AFAIK he's been doing this for three decades.
He has rebuilt our starter and our stock alternator in the past. It's a small shop and he is willing to explain things well.
Link: http://www.pmxalternators.com/services.htm

Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
51 views and no reply, not even from Tom Metzger? :)
I'll investigate a bit more, but now I am distracted again by the new 40 year old Dyer Midget I just bought... ;-)

OK Chris - I looked at it when current and decided to keep my trap shut. I'll take another look this week before heading down to spring training. Go Yankees! I can't look tonight because of a birthday celebration, but I will look and get back.

BTW, I drink good gin, bourbon, rum, beer, etc.

cawinter

Member III
OK Chris - I looked at it when current and decided to keep my trap shut. I'll take another look this week before heading down to spring training. Go Yankees! I can't look tonight because of a birthday celebration, but I will look and get back.

BTW, I drink good gin, bourbon, rum, beer, etc.

Most excellent choice of stimulants, Tom. No worries. Just trying to keep you excited. Enjoy the party and the trip.

After the other suggestions I'll look into it some more. Comes down to removal of the existing regulator and making sure that the new setup doesn't fry the alternator or batteries (which it says it won't, given the sensors etc.). Being frugal and all that, I thought ~$170 which perhaps doubles/triples my average charging rate is a good investment. The rest can then go to the dinghy restoration... :)

Will keep y'all posted as things progress. Thanks!

sailing42

Member II
I have installed one on my Hitachi Alternator (55 Amp) and it works perfectly. Had to upgrade my alternator belt to a ribbed style versus the normal smooth v style. Did the install myself including dismantling the alternator and fitting the field wire. Not sure about the Motorola alternator but I'm sure there is info out there on Google. I did get the regulator and remote on a sale so with the remote I have the option of switching off the regulator if necessary(using the remote), otherwise, you could install a switch in line on the wire to the ignition source.(which supplies power to the unit). With installing this unit one has to upgrade the wiring to and from the alternator too.

cawinter

Member III
Thanks

Thanks! Great input and in my files now! Unfortunately this has now slipped to #2 (or higher) on my list, having just 'rescued' a 1978 Dyer Midget! Trying to bring her back to near-Bristol condition. Oh, and then there is the sailing season coming up too, hopefully...