Stepping Mast by Hand on Ericson 25 plus

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmm, it's around here somewhere...

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?p=53920

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7518&referrerid=28

These were among some mast raising threads I found. There are several E-25 owners that will probably be checking in with some first hand advice and references for you.

I found these and other threads by putting this command into Google:
site:ericsonyachts.org "mast raising"

This is a way to use the Google search engine to search on phrases, which we recently discussed in another site search strategy thread.

Sidebar: Back in the late 80's I and a friend lowered the 34' untapered (!) spar on my Niagara 26 a couple times. There was a hinge on the step. We used the spinn pole forward as a "gin pole" and with lines led from snatch blocks aft to winches to steady the spar side-to-side, we could do it with the main lowering-line led thru several blocks back to a primary two-speed. Plus, there were two more lines from the end of the spinn pole to each side the deck in the same plane as the step. That was four steadying lines plus the main haul line. :rolleyes:
Since we needed to lower it aft, boom was removed first.
(If you were pivoting it forward on your particular boat, you would use the boom as the "gin pole" like the old O'Day 23 used to do.)
The process made us a bit nervous but no harm was done. Hardest part, in some ways, was lifting it and ooching it forward to rest on the a homemade carrier on the bow pulpit and a homemade set of crossbeams on the stern. The rear part had to be several feet in the air above the stern rail so the spar could clear the housetop.

Happy Hunting,
Loren

Last edited:

davisr

Member III
DBates,

Loren has definitely given you some great leads. The second thread contains a posting by E25cb owner Rob Hessenius. Check out the Youtube video. Rob is E25 expert on that technique. He gave me lots of good advice over the phone when I built mine. He's the man with all the experience in using it.

Best regards,
Roscoe

dbates

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses and links. I will check them out as well as the youtube video. Thanks again!