Steering Adjustment On E-32-3

Ed Balun

Member I
Hi folks. We have had our "87 E32-3 since 2/00 and have enjoyed it very much. I've noticed that while sailing in 15k or so that the steering seems to "tighten up" when heeled over 20+ degrees or so. The auto helm 3000 belt starts to slip as well. At the dock the steerig is fine. I haven't done anything as yet but would appreciate any pointers. Also, 4 years ago we had her hauled for a bottom job. The rudder was cracked and had a rust stain on it. The yard let it sit on the hard for 3 weeks, then reglassed the rudder. Is this good enough or is the thing, as well as the post ready to fall off. HELP!!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Ed -

Just so you know, I'm the one who moved your post out onto it's own thread - so people will have a better chance of seeing it and reply, etc...

We have lots of great 32-2 owners (as well as other models) out there...so I'm sure someone will chime in on this... :egrin:

//sse

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Ed, others will likely have better ideas, especially the 32-3 owners. But is it possible that your steering problems and autohelm slipping at 20+ degrees heel is due to weatherhelm. If so, perhaps re-tuning the rig would help, and adding a reef in the main to limit the heeling to around 15 degrees might solve this problem. As well, I understand the steering cables need the right amount of tension (not too much, though no real slack) and also need to be lubricated periodically.
On the other hand, maybe there is something else going on as well to make your steering so tight.
As for the rudder, I think reglassing it was a "quick fix". I would be a bit concerned about the inside condition of the foam and the rudder post if you had rust/water coming out of the crack. I would have preferred if they had opened the rudder along the crack, checked/replaced the foam, checked to ensure the inside metal structure was still sound, before reglassing. Just my opinion....
Good luck!
Frank.

Emerald

rudder

I'd keep a close eye on your rudder. It is probably still saturated with water. The foam is not supposed to absorb water, but it eventually will, and when it does, it won't dry out. I say this from having recored my own rudder, and with the side of the rudder cut off, the foam would still not drain. Here's a link to my recore project so you can get an idea of what I mean:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/rudder/rudder-intro.html

Foss Foam in California can rebuild the rudders for a reasonable amount. I have had great phone tech support from them. It might be worth a call.