Starting crank handle wanted for M-50

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know where I can get a handle to crank start my M-50 that would fit on the fixture shown in the picture?
thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• Motor Crank.JPG
    Motor Crank.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 93

erobitaille

Member II
Crank Handle

Chris,

Your photo shows the the front end of the crank shaft with a spline. This was most likley for something like a PTO (power take off) or another pully. You would never want to attach a hand crank to a spline saft as there is no way to disconnect it quickly and you would most likly end up spinning like a top on the end of your engine, :eek: not a pretty sight. Most hand cranked engines have a saft on the front with two smal dog ears that engage the crank handle but disconnect quicly when the engine starts. Take a look around Southern MD for an old tractor, model T or a model A and you will see what I'm talking about. I can remeber my uncle hand cranking his John Deer when the battery was dead and it took a great deal of effort to crank over that deisel. As a teen ager I could crank over the old Ford pick up but could never even budge the tractor crank.

I sailed out of Annapolis for many years and miss the Bay.

hodo

Member III
hand crank

Do not try to hand crank this engine! Ed is right on the money. If it did happen to start, you would break a lot of things, including body parts and boat parts. If it didnt start, and kicked back, the best you could hope for is a broken thumb. Ther needs to be a set of kick-out dogs on the crankshaft to be able to semi-safely hand start any engine. :eek: Hodo

Art Mullinax

Member III
Compression release valve

On some of the older diesels and tractor engines they had a compression release valve. Before starting you would open the compression release valve. As you cranked the engine, a small cog gear would close the valve and build compression. As the RPM's increased, the compression would build and eventually it would start running on it's own. With todays electric fuel pumps, if the battery is too low to start the engine it's probably too low to pump the fuel.
Art M.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Back in my college days I used to start my VW with a lanyard from EJ Whitney that would wrap around the alternator flange. The car started like a lawn mower (but then I broke down and bought a new battery).

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Darn...

Well that's not the answer I was hoping for... :(
I figured it would have some sort of one way ratchet gear so it wouldn't rip my hand off. Thanks for the input. I guess I'll invest in one of those emergency starter batteries instead.
Thanks,

Chris

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a hand crank for my little 8 hp Yanmar and the thought of having to use it scares the heck out of me. Thank god they have great starters. I also invested in a high power portable jump starter. :egrin: