Spliced masts

Martygair

Ugh! A spliced mast. That makes me queasy just thinking about it.
Looking at purchasing this vessel. Big concern I need to sail it to Portland Oregon from Bellingham after purchase.... hmmmmmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpg
    IMG_5715.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 35

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of new boats with long spars are delivered with spliced main masts. AFAIK Ericison did not do this, out of the box, but I could be wrong. From the picture it looks like it was done 'right' with flush fastenings. What we cannot see is the internal sleeve. IMHO you need a rig inspection by a good surveyor. It would help - a lot- if the boat came with documentation of the repair.
If.... it comes with the paper trail and currently passes inspection I would tend to trust it. I would also keep that paperwork in a very safe place.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would need to know the story of the mast. There is something odd about the color of paint or anodization, at least in the photo.

Saverio

Member III
Masts Selden, Spartcraft and also other manufacturers to contain the cost of transport, over 15 meters are all in 2 pieces, you can see on Bavaria, Grand Soleil, Comet, First, etc, our rigging Matteo Plazi (Luna Rossa ex Moro of Venice) has always told us that it has absolutely no effect on the performance of the boat, pre/bond of the mast, importantly the joint must be exactly from the 2nd cross onwards.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
That splice looks pretty low on the mast ? 6' ish from the deck maybe ? If so makes me think it is a repair rather than a choice.

Martygair

That splice looks pretty low on the mast ? 6' ish from the deck maybe ? If so makes me think it is a repair rather than a choice.
Yes 6'6" off of the deck
Lots of new boats with long spars are delivered with spliced main masts. AFAIK Ericison did not do this, out of the box, but I could be wrong. From the picture it looks like it was done 'right' with flush fastenings. What we cannot see is the internal sleeve. IMHO you need a rig inspection by a good surveyor. It would help - a lot- if the boat came with documentation of the repair.
If.... it comes with the paper trail and currently passes inspection I would tend to trust it. I would also keep that paperwork in a very safe place.
My surveyor told me to have a rigging company inspect the mast

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Did Kenyon produce the spars in Southern California? If not, I'm wondering how they transported them affordably.

paul culver

Member III
As long as the shrouds and stays are doing their job the force vector at that height above deck should be pointed pretty much straight down. As long as the insert maintains its integrity and remains in place what could go wrong? The relevant math can be found in the Cauchy stress tensor, but be warned that it is a rabbit hole entry to the math of general relativity theory which I am finding difficult to escape.

Caveat: I am a retired biochemist -- not an engineer or physicist.

Martygair

As long as the shrouds and stays are doing their job the force vector at that height above deck should be pointed pretty much straight down. As long as the insert maintains its integrity and remains in place what could go wrong? The relevant math can be found in the Cauchy stress tensor, but be warned that it is a rabbit hole entry to the math of general relativity theory which I am finding difficult to escape.

Caveat: I am a retired biochemist -- not an engineer or physicist.
That is what I am thinking also, it has made it to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska on this mast, but I wanted to make sure I was doing my due diligence

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
it has made it to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska on this mast
That is a pretty solid "sea trial" record & IMHO is almost as good as any visual survey. I would think it was put to more than enough different stresses during those voyages to reveal any possible issues. That being said having a surveyor sign off on it would be wise in regards to any future possible insurance claims.

Martygair

That is a pretty solid "sea trial" record & IMHO is almost as good as any visual survey. I would think it was put to more than enough different stresses during those voyages to reveal any possible issues. That being said having a surveyor sign off on it would be wise in regards to any future possible insurance claims.
I will make my decision this weekend, and sail her once again.