Spinnaker Wanted

WhiteNoise

Member III
Looking for a spinnaker that will fit my boat - Asymmetrical or Symmetrical, or both.

I=36.5
J=12.2

I believe that would dictate a sail with about a 36.5' luff and a 21.96' foot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe luff should equal the I dimension and the foot should equal 1.8 of the J. Correct?

bbboat

Member II
Try Bacon Sails

A great place to look for used sails - including spinnakers - is Bacon's in Annapolis. They have an online locator - just enter in your measurements and up pops a list of their inventory that matches or comes close to your specs. If you want to try out one or two, you can buy and they'll ship, and you have 10 days to hoist it and see if it fits. If not, just return it and all you pay for is shipping.

There are a ton of racers who sail brand-new spinnakers for one season, and then turn them into Bacons for consignment.

http://www.baconsails.com/

obiwanrazzy

Member II
I was pretty happy with a genoa I got from Bacons, so I'll second that... Also try Minneys on the left coast.

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

a quick search found this one:

<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom align=middle><TD>[SIZE=-1]S[/SIZE]</TD><TD>[SIZE=-1]luff: 36' 7"[/SIZE]</TD><TD></TD><TD>[SIZE=-1]foot: 21' 7"[/SIZE]</TD><TD>[SIZE=-1].75 OZ[/SIZE]</TD><TD></TD><TD>[SIZE=-1]HOOD[/SIZE]</TD><TD>[SIZE=-1]V.GOOD[/SIZE]</TD><TD>[SIZE=-1]ERICSON 29,TRIRADIAL, BLUE & WHITE- FEW PATCHES[/SIZE]</TD><TD style="vnd: @">[SIZE=-1]08-01[/SIZE]</TD><TD>[SIZE=-1]71[/SIZE]</TD><TD style="vnd: $#,##0.00">[SIZE=-1]$395.00[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

You do need to double check that it is still there by calling 'tho.

SAM

"Nauti Jo"
spinnaker for sale

Chris,

I posted a "like new" North asymetrical spinnaker for sale on this site back on 10-16-08. The sail came with my Ericson 28 and I have never used it. From the looks of it no one else has bothered to use it either.

My name is Sam as the post reads.

Take a look and see if you think it will work. From the dimensions you listed it should fit.

I currently have it at a consignment shop. Their site will verify the condition as they are a very reputable source. They have it listed at $1,095.00 but I will take $900.00 plus shipping if I sell it direct.

If interested please contact me and I will give you more info.

Sam
443-392-2245

Last edited:

rod sanburn

Member II
Spinnaker

I have a spinnacker from a E-29, I would sell. Its in good shape. If you are still interested let me know. I will send you size info and pic's. Rod

rod sanburn

Member II
Spinnacker more info

Chris,
Its a sobstad, w/ older chute and bag. Its very Irish orange green white. Its looks like new. I just got it out in the house to inspect it. Rod

rod sanburn

Member II
Sobstad Asym- Spinnacker

Chris,
Sorry I'm confused on who is who. Mark F is also looking for a spinnacker and you both replied close to the same time.
The sail is Asymmetrical. it could be used as a drifter or asym-spinnacker? The sail has red and green trim on edges like most spinnackers etc. I understand J to be masthead to foredeck not cabin top, and J to mean base of mast to forestay attachment. Not being able to spread it out is tough. Chute is packed away in the garage its a Chutescoop, I have the isntuctions that came with it. It was not on the sail when I bought the boat.

Head to clew = green trim 30+ft., red trim 35ft + or -, foot 24ft + or -, from the center of the foot to head 35 ft + or -. Its hard to measure in my small house. The pic's might be helpful.

Attachments

• P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 59

rod sanburn

Member II
Size of Sail Input

Mark and Chris,
Looking over Ericson spec's the sail might be to big for the E- 27. We should ask some others in the group for input.

" I'm not real smart, but I can lift heavy things."

Rod :egrin:

rod sanburn

Member II
More sail info

Chris,
I was able to re-measure today,

Port trim side 35' 2", Starboard trim side 30' 2"
foot 24 '
took some pic's but having problems with the down load.

Let me know if you still want it.

Rod

sweeping

Spinnaker

I have a spinnacker from a E-29, I would sell. Its in good shape. If you are still interested let me know. I will send you size info and pic's. Rod

Hi, I don't know if you still have it and if yes how much is it also what type? I have an E-29 and i never tried to sail with a spinnaker so I don't know the difference between the two type of spi you can find, so if you can give me some light.

thank you

SAM

"Nauti Jo"
spinnaker for sale

Dear Sweeping,

Hi,

My name is Sam.

I noticed your inquiry that was also forwarded to me so I am responding.

I own an Ericson 28 with a really tall rig on it. My mast clearance above the water is almost 45'.

I listed a North asymmetrical spinnaker for sale on this site back on 10-16-08. You can still see all the info on it at the "for sale and wanted" portion of the Ericson site. I still have it and think it should fit your boat. You will have to check the dimensions of your boat to be sure. You can find all the dimensions on my boat on the "Specs & Documents" section of this site.

As far as information on how to use it I can't be of much help as I have never hoisted it. Furthermore I think the previous owner did not use it either because I took it to a sail loft and they rated it in "new/used" condition. At the Annapolis sailboat show this past fall I checked with the North Sail booth and they told me it's worth about $2,500.00 if brand new.

I can tell you that it is poleless and should be easier to use than one that requires a pole. It also comes with a snuffer to douse it and an "ATN" tacker that makes it easier to set and handle. If you google "ATN tacker" they have a video that shows how it works.

I am asking $900.00 plus shipping for it. It's colors are red, white and blue. My ad has all this info and more.

If you are interested please respond and I will give you my phone # or you can give me yours and we can talk more about it.

Good luck with your search.

Sincerely,

Sam of "Nauti Jo"

Last edited:

FullTilt E28

Member III
spinnaker stuff

Poleless guessing its an asymetric cruising kite.

I have a asymetric cruising kite on my e28 wife and I easily sail the boat with it. 99% of spinnaker flying all centers around the driver and where they put the boat vs wind angle while the kite is up- going up or coming down. This part takes practice - best done in very light air so you can learn without pinning your boat down on its side and making a mess out of your spinnaker.

As for the rigging asymetric kites are way - Way simple. In our case we also race a 20 foot sport boat thats asymetric so its second nature to us. But the basics on how to rig it. You need a tack line which is a line that holds the tack/corner of the kite to the front of the boat. This line needs to be run through a block at the jib clew bow fitting and lead aft to a clutch or old school cleat - a short line tied to the bow and to the tack of the sail is a big no - no.
The last part you need two very long sheets tied to the clew of the spinnaker these are lead aft to a block attached to the outside edge of the cockpit on our E28 we have a nice aft track mounted on the rail cap factory standard. I simply bought a car that slides onto the track and mounted a nice block on it - one on each side of the boat.

Your spinnaker sheets are led from the spinnaker clew - aft and outside all gear and life lines to the aft block then they can be lead through the life lines up to deck mounted winches. We normally use the cabin top winches for the spin sheets.

Asmetric kites can be gybed two ways (gybed meaning switched to the new side) you can do an outside gybe where the clew of the spinnaker basically flys like a flag out infront of the boat and you simply trim the new sheet to pull the kite around to the new side. The other method is an inside jybe where the sheets are attached to the clew of the spinnaker so that they run across the front of the jib - which case the kite passess between the forestay/jib and the tack of the spinnaker - not as easy to do when the tack is attached close to the forestay. Outside gybes take some practice and can turn into a complete and totall mess if done wrong.

My best advice is find a young JR sailor who sails any of the new asymetric boats keel or dinghy buy him a nice lunch and have him go out sailing with you for a couple of hours on a nice mellow day and go through how to set up the kite - how to gybe it and also how to clean up the mess when you goof up.

Kites are alot of fun and pure joy to fly once you understand how they work and how to drive the boat. They can be pure terror and very expensive beasts if you don't handle them right.

Any socal sailors who visit the Channel islands and do not fly spinnakers on the trip home (on nice days) are missing out on 99.9% of sailing nervana. A true crime that should be followed up with spinnaker lessons.

Last edited: