Spinnaker or drifter for 35-2

Captain Crunch

Member II
Im looking for a used sail resource in the Vancouver/Victoria BC area. I would like to get a spin or a drifter. Any suggestions?

sailor11767

Member II
It's not local to BC, but Bacon Sails in Annapolis (BaconSails.Com) is a terrific resource for used and new sails. They do mail order, but I don't know what customs does to the deal.

Also, SailRite.Com has an innovative "do it yourself" program that is very cost competitive. I believe that the sail comes to you pre-glued (but I may be mistaken -- I know that at least the panels are pre cut) and for about double the kit price they will complete the sail for you. I probalby wouldn't buy my cutting edge racing sails from them, and maybe not even my cross-the-ocean sails from them, but I'd be mighty tempted to buy my serious-cruiser-on-a-budget sails.

I'm looking at an E-35/II that has completely trashed sails (not just sad, but trashed) and so would need to factor in a complete main/jib as part of the purchase budget, and they can give me a nice main and 155 for under $4K complete.

Good luck.

Harry
Wannabe 35/II owner
Current Lighning owner.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
$4k ?

I'm looking at an E-35/II that has completely trashed sails (not just sad, but trashed) and so would need to factor in a complete main/jib as part of the purchase budget, and they can give me a nice main and 155 for under $4K complete.

Unrequested comment: That's enough money to easily buy a new dacron Main and Genoa from UKSails, I betcha.
I confess that I have *not* rechecked prices in the last 12 months. OTOH, the material costs are somewhat oil-related, and oil prices are way down this spring...
(I would certainly get a quote from them before spending your money, and the NW loft headquarters is in Sidney.)

Loren

Last edited:

sailor11767

Member II
Loren -- that's good news. I've been accused of being so tight I squeak, so you can bet I'll check several lofts if I actually get into the buying stage. While I'm tight, I also recognize that the best value is not necessarily the cheapest price. I suspect a decent set of cruising sails, if well cared for, may be the only set I'll ever buy (or, if I need new ones, I'll have had the boat long enough I won't mind!).

But, to the topic at hand, I found the mother of all used sail (and gear) links at:
http://www.goodoldboat.com/resources_for_sailors/consignment_stores.php
They even have several listed in BC!

Cheers,

Harry

Gil Aiken

E 35 Mark II spinaker

Captain Crunch,

I have an E 35 Mark II spinaker I'm willing to sell. The spinaker is in very good condition. I live in Bellingham. You can reach me at 360-738-4106 evenings.

msc1212

Member II
I have a UK Flasher that came with the boat. It's a "classic" which means it dates to the mid 1970s. It comes with a sock. I'm not sure the previous owner used it very much. I've used it about ten times since I bought the boat three years ago. It won't win you the America Cup but it will get you downhill faster if the wind is blowing at 100-140 degrees. There's a small hole in the centre of it: complements of a mouse in my storage shed. I could have it repaired if you're interested. It would fit your boat perfectly.

Cheers

Michael