Spinnaker lines

SteveCrane

"Lucky"
Can anyone suggest what diameter line to use for spinnaker sheets on an E28+. I just purchased the boat with a new, unused spinnaker but no gear. Any suggestions on appropriate line size for sheets/guys etc. would be appreciated. Thanks. Steve

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
There is a Running Rigging document for the E30+ listed in the Resources/Document Archives section of this site that shows the spinnaker sheets as 3/8". I couldn't find a similar document for the 28+ but they are probably the same.

The jib sheets are also listed as 3/8"; on my boat they appear to be 1/2". Not sure why someone put larger lines on.

Emerald

Given the strength of most modern lines, I've hit a point where I often pick the size based on what feels good in my hand (assuming it's not over size for blocks etc.). For my hands, 1/2" feels good for things like sheets when pulling on them hard.

Just for grins, here's a line selector link from New England Ropes:

http://www.neropes.com/LineSelector.aspx

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Wow. Based on that line selector guide I wouldn't need 1/2" jib sheets until my boat grew up to be a 45-50 footer...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I use 3/8" spinsheets on my e-38 with a honking big asstymetrical. For the 30 I would reccomend 5/16, no need to go bigger and its fine on the hands. Use yale conception or any of the lines on this page:

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1600-dyneemablendedsinglebraids.aspx

Great stuff. Of course a conventional double braid like Sta-setr would be okay too they just soak up water and get heavy.

FWIW I am racing on an Open 6.50 and we use conception 5/16" and that boat has no winches....

New Englan guide is pretty good, but feel is important. For Jib sheets on a 30' boat I would use 3/8. I use 9/16 on my 38 only because it fits the self tailer nicely on the winch. 5/16 dyneema would be more than strong enough but would be hell on the trimmer.

Last edited: