Spinnaker Halyard slip

skywalker

Member II
If this has ever happened to anyone perhaps you can help me out. We were taking down my mast this weekend for the winter and next summers transit through the Erie Canal. We were removing all the running lines from the cockpit and laying them down at the foot of the mast. Well about an hour later we were down below in the cabin and heard something hit the deck above. Now my spinnaker halyard is approx half wire and half rope. When we got up we saw that alll of it was laying at the foot of the mast. Somehow it had worked its way up and came undone out of the top. So now how the heck do I get it all the way through the mast again and out that little hole on the side of the mast? Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

e38 owner

Member III
This has happened to me too

There are several way to fix the problem.

If the mast is down

Tie a fish line onto the other halyard.

Pull the fish line through the mast.

Use an hanger to snag the fish line and pull it out of the exit plate
Use a hanger and a small fish line to to get around the block at the top of the mast. On our mast I think there is a space under the block that makes it easier.
Once the fish line is ran.
tie the new halyard to the fish line and pull it through the mast.

I use Nylon twine for the fish line

Be carefull and look up from the bottom to see that the new halyard or fish line does not wrap around the other halyards.

If the mast is up
Tie a 5 foot or so fish line to the free end of the halyard.
Go up the mast and start feeding the new halyard around the block and into the mast.

Be patient gravity is your friend

When you see the fish line use a hanger to snag it
Pull the halyard through the exit plate

ref_123

Member III
Chain and tape measure

I was advised to tape a piece of bike chain to the end of the halyard to weight it down. Also, metal measuring tape can be folded and and then pushed into the mast through the slot so that it forms a big loop inside that will catch the chain and/or rope. When enough rope is down, just pull the tape out.

Have to admit I never used this method...

Regards,
Stan

jarnold67

Member II
Use the remaining halyard to your advantage

I secured a fish line (twine) to a working halyard to create a runable line when I replaced both halyards last winter.

Just make sure to check three times that everything is where it should be before pulling the fish line out.

Good luck,
John
E26 - "Pickle"

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Using the bike chain method, get one of those extendable magnets that they sell in auto parts stores for $1.87. I mean the kind that looks like a car antenna and extends like one too. Stick the end of this through the exit hole near the bottom of the mast and you can grab the bike chain with the magnet as it descends the inside of the mast and pull it out.

skywalker

Member II
Thank-you for all those suggestions. My mast is laying down so the bike chain would be difficult, perhaps something i could do in the spring.
great suggestion with the magnet. I will certainly give all these a try this week.

Guy Stevens

If your mast is laying down

Then all you need is a long electrical snake or fish tape.

You can get one for about $18.00 at home depot. The cheap Klien one works fine.

Guy
:)

Attachments

• fish tape.jpg
    fish tape.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: