Spinnaker halyard on E27

ron7546

Member II
When the boat yard un-stepped my mast and put my boat up for the winter, the halyard ended up loose below in the cabin. Boat is rigged with a North furling system. I'm a relatively new owner and this is the first year of rigging "Blue Note". The masthead has 2 sheaves, one for the main halyard and one to raise the furler and genoa. The spinnaker halyard is run thru a block with a snap shackle. My issue is where does the snap shackle attach?? Does it go on the swivel furler up top?
Thanks to all for any input.

Guy Stevens

Should look somehthing like this

It should look something like this at the top of your mast, only a lot smaller.....

The spinnaker halyard goes on one of the cranes that stick out, it is not connected to the furler, or the forestay in ANY manner.

Also the block should not have a snap shackle. It should have a screw or pin type shackle. Snap shackles are for releasing under load, exactly what you don't want that block to do.

Guy
:)

Attachments

• spinnaker cranes.jpg
    spinnaker cranes.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, from the peanut gallery

Sometimes I marvel at how this web site can attract and hold Riggers, Sailmakers, Carpenters, Electricians, and Shipwrights!

Ericson ownership really brings together a helpful and articulate group of sailors.

As Young Mr Grace used to say in many an episode of (Brit-com) Are You Being Served,
"You've All done very very Well!"

:egrin:

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yeah, yeah, yeah

There goes Loren blowing smoke!;)

Guy is right-there should be some type of crane or ring on the masthead to attach the shackle with the spinn halyard block.

Whatever you do, do NOT attach the block to the furler's top swivel! The block for a spinn halyard must attach ABOVE the furling system hardware and should allow the spinnaker to fly out and above everything attached to the headstay.

Savvy?

:D

S

JMS

Member II
A rule of thumb...

is anything attached to a spinnaker goes outside of everything -> headstay, shrouds, lifelines, etc.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is how my E23 is set up (see photos). I added the crane and cheek block to the masthead. I have a snap shackle on the end of my spinnaker halyard, I also pull the headsail sock up with it. The mast profile should be the same on your E27.

Attachments

• DSCN3108.jpg
    DSCN3108.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3106.jpg
    DSCN3106.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 106

Guy Stevens

Why the cheek block?

What were you hoping to accomplish with the cheek block?

The snap shackle on the halyard is fine, however a snap hackle on the BLOCK is not fine.

If the mast is still down, I would take the time to put some gas pipe tape under that cheek block, before that corrosion effects the structure of the mast. Especially since the screws or rivets are in a high load area.

Guy

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Guy,
The cheek block is to keep the spin halyard out of the way of the furling jib. I also have a furling asymmetrical that sometimes I am furling at the same time as the jib so there can be a lot of things spinning up there. The cheek block keeps things tidy.

I did lube the back of the block and the screws with Lanocote.
Thanks, Mark

ron7546

Member II
No choise

Up the mast someone must go ( with camera) to see what I have as options.I have a great memory, just terribly short and can`t really tell from the ground.
Last spring I rewired the mast and also added a windex light, new antenna and an anchor light at the top. You would think I would recall something about the configuration up there.
Thanks for the photo Guy .I do remember that it doesn`t have the "wishbone"that the photo showes.Thanks for all the info.,I will keep you posted.
Ron Wallace
" Blue Note":egrin:

ron7546

Member II
Ok-Ok I`ll eat a little crow

I guess the yard didn`t remove the halyard.The halyard must not have been on the mast when I bought the boat, as the mast was down for transport.As I said previously,I had added a windex light,new antenna and anchor light that first spring.From the photo I took yesterday it appears I mounted the anchor light where the halyard attaches.DO YOU AGREE? ? ? Would or should there be an eye bolt the fasten the halyard to? ? What do you call the assembly at tha very top of the mast?
Ron Wallace
"Blue Note"
Thanks again

Attachments

• P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 80

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Leading with your Light!

The masthead assembly is often called the "chickenhead." Sometimes it is an aluminum casting and sometimes a welded-up SS or aluminum assembly.

The part that protrudes in front to which to attach the swiveling spinnaker halyard block is often called the "crane."

I would guess that your new masthead light is perched where the spinnaker halyard block would like to live...
(If that's the worst thing to occur to you this year, life is treating you quite well!)
;)

Something to change the next time you have a nose-to-nose with your masthead. I will bet that a lot more E-29 owners will be offering some advice. Better news: a lot of 'em probably have digi cameras and will put some cropped photos into this thread to enlighten us all.

Fair winds,
Loren in PDX