Source for butyl string?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Subject-line says it... looking for a source of butyl string to use on the fasteners when I install deck hardware.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Agggh, never mind. Just went back and re-read Maine Sail's article. He doesn't use butyl string. He rolls a bit of butyl tape into the shape of string.

1 demerit for Bruce for posting without engaging brain...

jarnold67

Member II
It's out there

I've bought rolls of butyl from Defender (they're right down the road from me), Amazon, True Value (look in the window / screen door section), and even MaineSail sells the stuff (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape). I would recommend the grey as the black seems to me more sticky and harder to remove.

Good luck,
John A.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...recommend the grey ....

Thanks. I have a couple of rolls of the butyl tape from Maine Sail (great stuff!)

My vague recollection was that he recommended using butyl string under the heads of fasteners. Some of the fasteners I pulled off last weekend had a thin stripe of butyl under the heads. So I thought butyl string was a "thing".

As it turns out, it isn't. Maine Sail just recommends rolling a thin piece of butyl tape into the shape of string....

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Abut 18 months ago I bought butyl from West Marine. It is not nearly as good as Maine Sail's--sticky, consistency weaker.

But Maine Sail was at the time selling two rolls per order, which was more than I needed.

I'll avoid the WM stuff in future.