solid or cored hull

eric35II

Member I
i am the owner of a 74 35 II...i want to install a depth gauge. if the hull is cored then i need to install a thru hull... if its solid i can install a thru the hull transducer.

my questions are:

1. is the hull solid or cored

2. if you installed a thru hull for the depth where did you install it ??

happy boating

greg

escapade

Inactive Member
solid

Greg;
Most recomendations for location are slightly ahead of the keel on or very near the centerline of the boat. Find a location inside that's accessible and go to work. I highly recommend coating the inside of the hole you drill with epoxy (West System, etc.) as you are creating a possible path for moisture to get into the laminate. Anything you can do to prevent this is advisable. Use lot's of sealant (3M 5200, 4200, or similar) and snug up but do not overtighten. You may need to create a flat surface on the interior side to give the nut a good surface to bear against. Plywood isn't recommended cause it can swell and/or rot giving you problems later. I build up the area w/thickened West System to create a mounting boss that's not affected by water. Anything like that should work.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Greg -

Agree with the above.

Your boat has a pretty thick hull by most standards, (which is good in most respects, when I had Freyja hauled last week it was evident that a more modern boat might have gone down with the damage she had), that could impede the performance of a sensor that transmits through the fibreglass. I say that based on just one Ericson owner I know of who installed one and was not happy with it; what make the transducer was, where he installed it etc I do not know. Perhaps someone else will have other experience.

Gareth

Freyja E35 #241 1972

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Greg,
I have an E-35 II 1971. I have two depth transducers, one thru hull one epoxied inside. They both work exactly the same.
The epoxy one is glued down in the hull under the floor baord just outside the head. Its not on the center line, its about 8 inches to starboard. This dose not seem to effect depth readings as they are the same as the thru hull one.

Phil

chrism

Inactive Member
My transducer is also located outside the head, below the floorboard. I beleive the original transducer is located right behind the keel, but I'm unsure about that. I think that the PO installed the one outside the head before crossing the Atlantic and spending a year over there... So that means the thing has been there since about '74. Works perfect. When it says five feet, we are aground.

So there is a one inch difference. :boohoo:

Chris

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Your 35mk2 is most likely solid lay up. However, there are instances
of cored hulls-most all of the 46's and some 39's have cored hulls. A customer
could have this done by special order. In fact in the factory tour
part of this website, there is a photo of a 39 getting balsa coring
from sheerline to the keel! It didn't happen often, but it did happen.

Martin

eric35II

Member I
thanks to all

thanks guys

well now i know the hull is solid. the speedo thru hull is mounted just outside the head. am thinking that i can mount it forward of the speedo. of course mounting it behind the speedo would be easier, but my concern is that the water turbulance from the speedo would effect the reading.

thanks again

happy sailing
greg