Solar panels

jreddington

Member III
Hey, How about this? :egrin:
DSeBow_MG_1311_600pix03.jpg

I've actually been aboard this boat. If that's not enough the designer is looking to add vertical wind turbines to the next iteration.

Touchrain

Member III
I just mounted two large panels on the quarters so they can be adjusted. I replaced the upper lifeline (one each side) from the pushpit to the gate with 1" stainless tube (thick walled). At the gate, I purchased a fitting that goes over the top of the stanchion and has an eye on one side for the gate and a female connector to take the tubing. I drilled and tapped the tubing and ran a bolt into it for security. On the other end, I fortunately have a family with a machine shop and they provided me with six inch long stainless tubing with an ID just over 1 inch. I used that as a sleeve from the pushpit to the main tubing. This way I can reinstall the lifelines should I ever want to. However, I actually like the tubing there and it looks pretty slick. I attached aluminum cross pieces on the solar panels and attached two split, hinged (quick release) plastic (strong) fittings on each panel. These are typically used on cockpit tables. They grip the one inch tubing. You can get them at West or on line. I may add a third one since these are 135 watt panels -- read big. I am currently using an adjustable strut to angle them. They are available from solar panel companies. Affordable Solar might have them. I'll need to check my receipts. Warning: these cover quite a bit of the area back there. I am heading offshore soon and will probably plan on taking them off and putting below in anything rough. Oh, yes, I installed quick release electrical fittings to do this. They have waterproof covers when the panels are not plugged. In. The panels are not currently mounted, but I'll try to remember to take pictures and post when I put them on in about three weeks.

Meanwhile the pics on the earlier post with the wood dowel struts is quite similar.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have designed a top-of-pole mounting system for my Kyocera 85 watt panel which includes a lift crane for my dinghy outboard motor. It attaches to the stern rails so no need to drill holes in the boat. It has become so popular I have had a company manufacture some for distribution. Several people have mounted two 85 watt panels on poles on their stern.

Check out custommarineproducts.com for pictures and blog discussing panel output.