So Close.........

Eric Miller

Member I
Well, I made an offer on a 1980 E-35. This is my first sailboat. I haven't heard back from the broker, and I am going crazy with anticipation. Needed to tell someone, no one at work cares at all, they are all power boaters exclusively. Needed to share/vent. If I get this offer, I think it is a steal.

I offered 19500 on the boat in great shape, new engine (03), and new sails, (03) no delam, no soft spots, blisters done away with in the 90's along with new 40mil vinylester and full barrier coats before last season. I am giddy and nervous with anticipation.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening.....and if I get this boat, rest assured I will be the annoyingly giddy new poster on here asking all the questions that have already been answered.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Your Soon To Be Boat

Eric~
I hope your dreams come true and you own the 35' by 6pm. I'm happy that you choose an Ericson, you won't be dissappointed! Congradulations in advance.

Eric Miller

Member I
Thanks...

Thank you. I like the reassurance from someone that knows the boats. To be honest, the boat is listing far higher. I called the broker and he said that the list should have been on Yachtworld for 3k lower. I then made an offer lower than that. The boat is online now, on Yachtworld....the First Lady is the name.

Now, please no one else buy this boat out from under me....:mad:

Kidding.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Eric

Eric~

Looks like a mighty fine sailling vessel that will bring years of happiness and moments of shear frustration. Looks like a good buy. Don't worry about me sniping it away from you. At the present moment could'nt afford to even take a look at her.

JMCronan

Member II
That's a nice looking boat. That boat has been listed in YW for over a year. I remember seeing the listing when I was in the market to buy in Feb 07. So, the seller might just take your offer. Good Luck.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
yeah... no worries about having anyone here sneak it out from under you... most of us are boat owners, which means we're broke:egrin:

Good luck! How does the saying go? "the best 2 days of my life were the day I bought my boat, and the day I sold it"

Best,
Chris

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I hope things work out for you. You will love the Ericson the more I work on and with my 29 the more respect I have for the structure of the boat.

I have bought over 10 boats and have always regretted selling any boat I have sold which is 4 please don't do the math and if you don't tell me the answer I don't want to know. Do I don’t agree with the saying about the two happy days in a boat owner’s life. I always buy the replacement before selling or just add another. A friend just bought his third Hunter he owns a 22?, 27 and 30 I think I will tell him if he get a couple more he can trade them all for one Ericson: Can’t do that I would lose a friend.

Good luck with the boat and welcome

Eric Miller

Member I
Got IT!

Confirmed the deal today, paid a little more than I wanted, but not much more. Sight unseen, never done that before. The survey is next week and I should be able to bring it back from VA to Kent Island, MD the week after.

Thanks for the support everyone and I hope to be a part of this forum consistently. I'll have to start reading all the previous threads. This is my first sailboat and it is 35ft. That is kind of scary, but I'll figure it out.

So, onward and upward.

Oh and by the way, my favorite saying is this: What is like to sail/drive a boat in the ocean? Like standing in a cold shower tearing up 100 dollar bills....
I am looking forward to it!

Lucky Dog

Member III
Congratulations

We did the same last summer. The E35-2 had been listed for two years. Had to practically beg the guy to buy it. (he was so busy that three previous buyers had given up) Couldn't be happier. This has exchange (my wife refers to it as "the brotherhood") has been a great help. I had read ever thread and followed ever link. I knew just what to look for when I finally got to see it.

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Congrats

Eric,
Congrats and welcome to the Ericson community. You will find this forum very helpful. The E35 is a great boat and what a way to start out.
KJ

Eric Miller

Member I
You don't think

You don't think it is too large, do you? I think I can handle it, but I don't feel all that confident in my sailing skills. The majority of my sailing was at my captain's school, and I loved it, but I am a bit nervous....oh well, I'll get it eventually.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Congrats

Nice purchase, and a very fair price if it is in very good shape!

The 35-2 is a small-ish big boat-easy to handle and very very capable.

You will have years of enjoyment with it.

Keep us posted!

S

Eric Miller

Member I
Nice, thanks for the confidence.

It is in really good shape, according to the owner/broker, but we'll see on Tues. for ourselves. New cushions and upholstery, give the wood interior a once over and new varnish, should be good to go. Yanmar 3gm with 400 hours installed in 2003.

By the way, I went to college in Chicago down in Hyde park at the U of C. I Love Chicago.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Size matters?

Eric, My 23 is the largest boat I've ever "owned", it just fits my life style(for now). I've been on bigger boats and have chartered bigger boats, and although slightly intimidating once you get past the docking they're pretty much "all" the same(and more stable). If your lucky enough to "score" try to befriend some "big boat" guys at the marina and get some tips. Most sailors are more than willing to help-out a "newbie" as I'm sure you'll find out here.

Welcome, Good Luck, Go-for-it!:egrin:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Big Boats/Little boats

Eric~

There all the same until you get close to land. Thats where the difference happens, fast!

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Size is relative

Eric,
Too large is all relative. I have a friend that started out on a E27 at about the same time I purchased mine. He went to a 42, than a 50 and now has a 65. Glad I don't have to play keep up with the Jones.

I started sailing Evolution 20 year ago but I learned the most prior to ownership on small dingy's and while racing keel boats. I once had a goal to have a five foot bigger boat every five years but life has gotten in the way. Meaning I would be an owner of an E46 today or another flavor, but I am really happy just owning my E27. She has really given back and my next boat will be an Ericson I am sure.

Now if I could just figure out away to get more helm time.
Enjoy! Post pics if you get a chance.
KJ

Eric Miller

Member I
I will certainly be posting pics along with my soon to be ill-fated projects. The interesting thing is that, although I am a 100ton capt. and have operated far large powerboats, the sail boat seems more intimidating.

That is the whole point, though. To expand my boating and cruising opportunities....oh yeah, and to avoid 4.00 per gallon fuel....

sleather

Sustaining Member
Being a rated captain you'll have the docking thing down in no time. I learned sailing from racing on E Scows(28' Inland racing boats) and although coming up thru the ranks is a good way to learn the interaction between sails and hull it's not "required by law". A small boat w/ a tiller will give you more feedback than a large boat and the sails are easier to handle but it usually all comes down to experience(the price we pay to learn). You may want to get involved in some dinghy racing to "fine tune" some sailing skills IF there's any time left over from being an owner, just a thought.

Mindscape

Member III
Congrats!!!

Welcome to the Erison family. I've got a 32 and single hand it all the time with no problems. As mentioned previously, close to shore, specifcally docking is the chanllenge and my $.02 is practice, practice, practice. With a friend or friends on board practice docking. After a while you will become comfortable. The sailing part is the most fun and you'll learn that easily.