slick bottom paint ?????

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Has anyone tried the new Fluorinated polyurethane paints? I have been reading about them and they seem to work as a water barrier, slime or hard growth doesn't bond to them and they are supposed to last much longer than an antifouling paint.

The price is high but if a bottom job lasts seven or eight years and cleans easily it might be worth it. Also they are very low friction (slick).

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have spoken with Bryn at 21st Century Coatings and she was very helpful. The material is a two part mix that equals three quarts, that can be applied by any method but spraying is the suggested method.

I heard about 21ST from a guy I met on a business flight and he said he had used this on a power boat and that there was a significant speed increase and reduction in fuel consumption. He also stated one boat painted with this stuff at had a mishap at launch. They released the trailer winch cable and while backing down the ramp the boat slid off the trailer. Sounds real "slick".

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Fpp

It seems as if it is really slippery stuff. Good for a racer that dry sails. What will stop the growth? After you dive and scrub you will have a clean surface. Make sure that you apply in a bug-free enviroment, 2-3 coats applied when tacky taking 24 hours to cure with immersion after/ideally 5 days.

I'm not bashing this product, but just trying to figure out what type of sailor that this would benefit. Trailered boats or dry launch guys come to mind first. Where Im at growth (slyme,grass) happens quickly in the heat of the summer. I'm not into scrubing. I would be all over it if I dry sailed.

Rob Hessenius

JohnK

Member II
You can see that the slime builds up on FPU just like other anti-fouling but seems to come off pretty easily...

http://www.fpu-coatings.com/EasyCleaning.html

"Our WC-15 (E) ™ non-stick, easy-cleaning, coatings provide a safe and more durable alternative to toxic anti-fouling coatings. After one year in the Mediterranean, the owner cleaned the hull with just low pressure water spray and a hand brush."

Last edited:
Fluorinated Polyurethane

I've tried calling and emailing 21st Century Paint but to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if it is, 'vapor paint', i.e. non-existent. Has anyone actually found a distributor, or applied this paint? Lake Chelan where we sail is deep and cold, without much nutrient, so slime build-up is very slight. Boats are only in the water for 7 to 8 months a year so power cleaning at the end of season, is the only real maintence for slime removal. This paint seemed like an alternative to other hard paints, and provides a osmosis barrier besides, but if they don't actually answer the phone, then they will be off my list.

JohnK

Member II
Couldn't get through either...

I called and left a message a while back but no one got back to me either. This stuff isn't cheap either - $618 a gallon - OUCH!

Last edited: