Sink backing up?

Strats43

Member I
As Im working on Lady Hanna,(30-1) I notice that when the cockpit drains from rain the sink backs up and overflows! Any Ideas?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Are the through hulls encrusted to the point they are nearly blocked? I am not sure of the set up in your boat, but in my E35, that is about the only thing that could cause what you describe.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sink drain

Correct, Gareth-sounds like the cockpit drians are not running freely (the sink and cockpit drain through a common through hull/hose arrangement), since the volume exceeds what is left of the draining capacity, it follows the path of least resistance..
This is actually serious, because the cockpits drains are marginal to begin with and are a huge safety concern.

Check and/or replace the cockpity drain hoses, and maybe the through-hull fittings(don't forget the "T" fitting joing the sink to the cokppit drain path).

If you plan on any real offshore sailing, you should increase the diameter of the cockpit scuppers, hose and through-hulls to allow the 'pit to drain faster,and this should solve the sink issue.
Cheers,
S

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Seth - I just got the new 2" hose yesterday. It was special order, so I had not seen it before, and found it kind of collapsed on itself the way it was wrapped in the box. It took some of its shape back when I opened it up. Should it be wire reinforced (which this clearly is not, although I thought it would be), or is exhaust type hose acceptable?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

windjunkee

Member III
We reworked our cockpit drain arrangement. What was there almost looked like vacuum cleaner hose -- plastic, non-reinforced. When we had the survey done, the surveyor told us the wire-reinforced hosing was almost mandatory, so we switched it out. We had kind of a hokey arrangement of the two rear drains and two forward drains coming together and then draining out through one common thru-hull. The entire mishmash came together right over the head of the engine. It was ugly.
We have fixed it and it drains really really fast, but we still have the problem when heeled over, the rear cockpit drains are under water and we'll get a flow up into the rear cockpit area. Hey, if its that windy, I'll have my foot up on the rail while driving.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134

Mikebat

Member III
What about crossing the hoses, Jim? Lead the hose from the port scupper to the starboard through-hull, and vice versa. I've read elsewhere this is a recommended change for off-shore safety.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mike's right

Correct-cross the lines and that should solve that issue!
IIRC, these lines do not need to be wire reinforced-they are never under any vacuum or very high pressure, so why should they? If there is an authority on this, I would like to know, but I don't remember ever installing wire reinforced drain hoses.
Cheers,
S

u079721

Contributing Partner
Use wire reinforced hose

Well, of course I can't find a quote for you now that I need it (Nigel Calder maybe?) but I have read many places that any hose, connected to a through hull that can be under the water line should be wire reinforced. I think the point is not that the hose is under pressure, but rather that the wire helps keep the hose from kinking.

On my 38 the cockpit drain hoses and the main galley sink hose were that stiff vacuum cleaner type hose. The cockpit drain hoses were almost impossible to get to, and were above the water line at rest, so I never got around to replacing them (though I did keep the replacement hose aboard just in case). But I swapped out the galley sink drain hose right away, which really helped the sink drain, as the original hose had a kink in it where they bent it. (To make the run a bit smoother I installed a 45 angle nipple at the bottom of the sink.)

Emerald

One more thought, I've never liked the idea of the sink and a cockpit scupper being on the same drain line relying on a single shutoff point. It's the sink side I want to close, for a whole variety of reasons in the right/wrong conditions why I don't want the sink open, but do want the cockpit open, so put a simple ball valve on the side of the T that goes to the sink. Now your drain can be open, and sink is closed, and cockpit contents cant overflow into the sink no matter how bad it gets. If you are concerned about the wieight of the ball valve hanging off a T, use a marlon valve. Of note, I personally prefer bronze for all actual thru-hulls and seacocks - BTW, if you still have ball valves perched on thru-hull stems, time to replace with flanged seacocks that go flush against the hull, and while you're at it, replace the thru-hulls also (you'lll thank yourself later).

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Seth

Sustaining Partner
yes

Good points David-and Steve-I think you are correct-certainly about the vacuum hose-looking material-that is obviously reinforced...what I was thinking of was the black hose with steel reinforcing like you would find on engine hoses-that is not required (I think), but I am with you 100% abot the hose you described.

My bad-I'm certain!
Cheers,
S