Should I Be Mad?

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I just got to my boat to find a two piece jib sheet. I am not sure if it is old age or vandalism. The boat was new to be 2 years ago and the running rigging is still on the list of I need to catch up on the p/o's differed maintenance list. It looks to be sliced very cleanly with every fiber broken in exactly the same place, about 7 feet off the deck as though it was done with a knife. However there is also some polishing in the corrosion (also on the list) of the mast form where it has been slapping in that same spot, and the rest of the sheet looks to be in good condition. Have any of you had a similar failure or is this the work of some #&*$?:confused:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
It sounds to me like the following scenario might have taken place....a windy night....your sheet "slapping" away, annoying someone else on the dock, until finally that someone eliminates the noise by cutting the line! Not the nicest neighbor to have, but quite possible if he/she was pi$$ed off!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
that is kind of my thought, but I am the only one who spends the night for twenty boats and am the last slip way away from everyone

Guy Stevens

Photo

Send us a photo and we will try to do photo forensics via the image.

Really I have seen a lot of broken and a lot of cut line in my time, old and new, send a photo along.

Guy
:)

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I second the call for a picture.

But I think a line that chafes through stretches the remaining fibers as it cuts. So I think if the ends are square, then you need new neighbors.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
here is the best shots I could get

Attachments

• Picture 26.jpg
    Picture 26.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 30.jpg
    Picture 30.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 29.jpg
    Picture 29.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 25.jpg
    Picture 25.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 33

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Occam's razor (accept the explanation that fits the circumstances, and nothing more complicated than that) suggests that this was not a malicious act.

7 feet off the deck? Why bother reaching above your head to cut an annoying line?
Coincidental "corrosion polishing" occurred right at the point the [tall] miscreant decided to do the deed?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I would think that someone who is annoyed with the slapping sound would cut the line where it is hitting the mast. Not bothering to think that cutting the line anywhere would stop the noise. May be even more likely if the individual was intoxicated.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Hmmm, Ted...could be...sounds like you have a lot more experience at drunken line hacking than I do.

paul culver

Member III
Sure there weren't any surveillance cameras around? This could be like that other recent post on the same topic that cracked me up, especially the part about taking the cab to West Marine, buying the most expensive line available and charging the culprit for the whole thing.

I vote CUT, with a cold blade. Best of luck.

--Paul

Kim Schoedel

Member III
It looks cut to me. Why the 7 feet up, who knows? What a nasty thing to do. Perhaps the culprit didn't want a long "tail" flapping around. I keep some old chunks of line handy just for tieing off a neighbors line or two.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
No cameras

I checked with the harbormaster today and there are no cameras. That is always my luck, but it is probably for the best, if it was intentional, as it keeps me out of prison. The why so far up the mast question is one of the reasons i am uncertain, along with knowing and having a good report with most everyone on the dock (and certainly with everyone at the far end of the dock where I am) The cut is too clean to be random, but the people around me are too nice.... Sorry about the poor photo quality, had to haul enough in close enough to the web cam to get them and it doesn't seem to do well at extreme close-ups. thanks for the input so far. Edd

jkm

Member III
Look for the real nice guy that lives on his boat and if he drinks alone then you have your guy.

How to get him is tough and needs planning.

Make sure to file a vandalism report with the Sheriff-hopefully ask them to come to the boat to take the report or pictures.

evm

Member II
Cut

Speaking as a climber with 40 years experience and a sailor with 30.

Ropes fail one filament at a time and no filament at the >exact< same place. As each filament of the yarns fail the strength and thus the position of the rope changes with respect to the stress point (Think of a sharp edge for example).

Thus all broken ropes that I have seen had filaments that did not break in a clean line. This includes an 11mm perlon climbing rope that failed in an avalanche.

This rope has all filaments neatly broken in the same place. Therefore it was cut.

(long winded to say the obvious)

--Ethan

Guy Stevens

Photos would seem to indicate cutting

The photos that you have posted would seem to indicate that the line was cut with a knife, not a real sharp one either.

The real kicker is that if the rope breaks under even the lightest load, the strands on the cover at least 1 or 2 of them sometimes up to half of them are loaded as the line breaks, they then elongate using the space created in the lay by the break in the core. The end result looks less neat than the photos that you have posted.

As to why it was cut, probably someone didn't like the banging in the wind.

Also note that the wear on the lines and the mast alone are good reasons to make sure that the lines are not banging on the mast. I am in no way condoning acts of vandalism. You are better served by making sure that the don't abrade on the mast, for both the line and the mast. The advantage that they would not be a target of vandalism is a big plus.

Another interesting possibility that I have seen, resulting in cut lines is when another boat is able to become entangled in them. Since you did not mention being on an end tie, or in a heavy traffic area, this seems less likely.

Guy
:)

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
thanks

Well it is as i thought, I had hoped for a different answer though. Now I will always be suspicious of everyone at the marina. It is sad but I guess that is the real world. It doesn't make me near as mad (but I am plenty that) as sad for the way one individual can destroy so much for so many, until now I've trusted everyone at the dock, even letting it be known to some that my dock box was unlocked and inviting them to borrow my tools inside, always finding honer and respect. guess master lock just made another sale. too bad:esad: by the way the sheet was part of a halyard that was 9/16 rope to 1/4 S.S. wire, is there any suggestion on what to replace it with? should I replace the whole thing as it is probably older, or re-splice in a new line to the wire that still seems to be in good shape, or go to all rope line?

jkm

Member III
I vote (did I say that) for tossing the wire and join the rest of the world with a nice new halyard.

John

chaco

Member III
The Great Masthead Shive Mystery

The Specs for Running Rigging on the E35II and E35-3 indicate a 3/16" wire
attached to a 3/8 Dacron Main and Jib Halyard.
Does the Shive need to be changed out to accept the 3/8" line :confused:

Little Mysteries in Life really BUG me :rolleyes:
and....what is up with all this line cutting business.
The DockFather says tie those pesky halyards to the Shrouds to elimiate
noise and mast chafeing :nerd:

Hang Em' High :egrin: :egrin:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
they were tied off and pulled down tight, they generally don't make any noise, however there was a nasty windy storm that blew through that weekend. as for what it takes to get the over-sized lines in i don't know. the P/O was a serious racer, that is one of the things that drew me to this boat as he spared no expense when it came to having the biggest strongest and best sail ware that money could buy, and did nothing to add creature comforts. (translated it has over kill on the rigging and no holes to support old worn out equipment) But as i haven't been to the top of the mast yet i don't know exactly what he did to make it all happen. I had planed to remove the mast and replace both the standing & running rigging as well as paint the mast next winter. I have contemplated looking into running all the halyards inside the mast, does anyone have an opinion on the sanity of that?