Server Errors, 12/17 Interruption & Coming Update

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Friday, Dec 17th, our site was taken down briefly because one of the backup scripts failed and our host took the site down to protect their DB server.

I have opened a ticket with Xenforo to look at what is causing this, however it is likely that we will need to update the site within the next few days.

I will get back to to you and advise when I know more.

Thanks,
//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update:

After having reviewed the error logs yesterday, I am still uncertain as to the exact cause of the failure during yesterday's backup routine. I have made some changes to the configuration of the site, and will be watching today when our backup runs it's daily routine; hopefully it will be normal.

I do not have the time to do any upgrades/updates before January 1st. I have a board exam on the 29th, so I am face-down in preparation for that. I think it's safe to say, however that I will be updating the site on January 1st, or 2nd. I will advise on that once I know more.

Thanks,
//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sean,

Please focus on the exam.

Mark
Oh I am... If you saw my desk/study right now it's awash in books and worksheets and stuff I've been going over for the preceding 45 days or so... I appreciate the sentiment though - so thank you. :)

Update:

The daily backup just ran and it completed successfully without any errors, and the database did not throw out any exceptions. So, I will go on and look at this a bit further, and plan on doing the upgrade the first weekend in January as stated above.

If anything changes on this, I will advise.

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Update:

I think I *may have* found the culprit. There was a server of the cloud service, OVH in Quebec that hit our servers 5097 times in less than 60 minutes starting at 11:20 am on Friday....and the German service Hetzner Gbh (13,000+ over the day) so I've just filed an abuse report with both firms.

At noon our daily backup runs - so they were slamming the server at the same time it was running and others were hitting it - which exceeded the number of connections allowed and shut down the backup (I think).... Very annoying...

Attachments

• 1217 Offenders.JPG
    1217 Offenders.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: