seawater in engine a fatal problem?

Christiane

Engine wouldn't start last fall,after running fine all summer. I tried many times but it wouldn't turn over. Left it in water over the winter with heater in cabin, bubble system outside. Mechanic said seawater in engine, needs cylinder, piston, piston sleeve, manifold rotted, elbow fitting rotted. 3K to fix or better still, new engine for 6.5K. I'm trying to sell, and afraid I'll just lose too much money if I repower my 1979 Ericson 30. What would you do?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Ouch. That's a real bummer. Good reminder to the rest of us to close the raw-water seacock if the engine isn't starting right away.

I'd probably sell it as is, saying it needs an engine. What's the condition of the rest of the boat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Decisions decisions....

Wow! You now have my attention... and all my sympathy.
:boohoo:
It sort of goes without saying that there may be no perfect answer here.
IMHO, the boat will sell way more easily with a new diesel in it, but probably not for 6.5K more than it would likely sell for in it's present condition. (!)

If you take the real and likely amount it would bring now, with a used but running engine, and then subtract 6.5K from that amount... would it sell as as a project boat? That plan has the sole virtue of allowing you to "move on." :rolleyes:

I will go out on a limb and imagine that you have a '79 E-30/2. I know of one that sold within the last year in my sailing area, in the low 20's. It was for sale quite a while for several thou more, with a newly-rebuilt diesel. The owner was trying to get back some of what he spent to rebuilt the Westerbeke that broke a connecting rod out-of-the-blue. I dimly recall that the engine had quite a few hours on it, but had been running fine.
The engine problem happened during regular use, and just as he was starting to advertise the boat. He had it rebuilt at a local boatyard. He thought that fate had dealt him a poor hand -- I agreed.

If the boat is really really clean and turn-key otherwise, you might try an ad for it "sans engine." If, for example (and being speculative) you were planning to ask 24K and accept 22K, you might now market it for 18K and accept 16K. Hurts to even think about, don't it?
:(
One other thing about a new engine, though, is that you get to start fresh with new trans. and panel. This looks really spiffy to a potential buyer, and they get the luxury of buying a boat with a warrantied aux. engine. And then, if it was originally underpowered with a single-cylinder, you will almost certainly be putting back in a twin or small 3 cylinder diesel.

Anyway, best of luck to you in what would be a quandary for any of us.

Best,
Loren in PDX

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
In the world according to me, there are two ways to keep a boat:
1. do the bare minimum to keep things more or less working, and enjoy. There is some money, and endless work, involved.
2. When you start a repair, and find all sorts of other problems after you start digging (which is the norm), fix it all to be as good as new. This costs a fortune.

You are caught between the two. I hate to recommend getting rid of the boat, but if you can not take it all on, get out now, before you lose even more.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Christiane

believe it or not, I had it in Newsday for 7K, stating it was in otherwise very good condition, and at 7K who cares if the diesel runs? One call only from a scared buyer who thought better of it and didn't call again. Wow, are people just not buying boats? maybe with the price of gas, I should fix the engine and keep it! Thanks for your reply, and sympathy.

Christiane

Thank you for your very thoughtful response, Loren. I don't know if it is a 30/2. It has a Yanmar diesel I think 10 hp. I was hoping to be able to sail it until i sell it, but without a motor, that would be insane. That really hurts! So now it's a really expensive floating dock, at the mooring, while I watch all the other lucky people sailing by. :( I'll think about rebuilding, but a new engine with transmission would really make more sense even though I'd lose money, but may have better chance of selling. It's costing $ to keep it, without even enjoying it.