Sealing a leaky sheet block track

philscho

Member II
Greetings,

I have a 1981 Ericson 28+ that has developed an annoying leak from the
sheet block track that finds its way onto the counter top in the galley.
I wondered if anyone has ever used this stuff called Gluvit? They claim it
will seal leaks and remain flexible to keep it sealed. Would love any suggestions.

Removing the track means cutting out the headliner material ( headache) since there is no zipper on that portion of the HL.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil
s/v Russell James

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If it is in a non cored section of the deck I would chamfer the tops of the hole and reseal with Butyl.

If it is cored then pot the holes first.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Tims right. Gluvit will likely not solve the problem and will probably be messy. The deck is likely cored where the track is. You really should rebed it properly. Headliners not that bad once you get past the rusty staples.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have accessed parts of the cloth/vinyl headliner by pulling out a long row of staples. On many Ericsons those staples are under a piece of teak trim held on by #6 bronze screws. If working under the side deck, where the fastenings for the genoa track come thru, there may be a long zipper inside of cabinets or other woodwork that is difficult to get at.

As echoed by others, do use non-corroding staples for restoring the headliner material.
And do follow Tim's advice to core all the holes -- that way you only have to do this once.

Post up some pics of the project area if you can.

Best,
Loren

Last edited: