Save my Signet!

palmetto32

Member I
I recently bought a 1977 Ericson 32, it has a Signet MK9 knot meter, which I'm left to assume is original. I've contacted Signet for a possible repair, or replacement, but wondered what the Ericson community had to offer.

specific question:

Has anyone updated their knot meter in a similar way? How did it work out?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I still have the original Signet knot meter and depth instruments at both ends of the wire which have never given me any trouble but..... I always wonder how much longer they will hold on. I know the previous owner of my boat had the displays sent in for rebuild at one time.
I read somewhere about Mainsail saying some brands could use the old sensor with a new display to get you by till the next haul out, but I don't know much more about it than that.
I'm guessing yours is not working properly?

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
1970 Signet Knotmeter

I had a Signet knotmeter on my 1970 E32-2 that had a different plug from my transducer. I also had a spare transducer that I found in a storage compartment. I sent the knotmeter, spare transducer, and photos of the plug from the current transducer (after calling signet) and they tested the knotmeter, and installed the correct connector to match the transducer plug. They sent it back within two weeks, and it worked! The spare transducer, they said, did not work, so I tossed it. They were great and didn't charge me for the new plug as far as I can remember.

Working with them was great. I'm still trying to figure out the telcor wind instruments, and even just getting the things plugged together has been a challenge.

Good Luck! Hope it works out.

Dean

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Had my knot meter face plate replaced.
They check out the meter, replaced the reset button and face plate, and recommended a titanium pin for the paddle. Got the whole thing back within 10 days. Looks and works great. These folks a great to work with!