Question #20: Wrong
Question #30: Wrong
Question #35: Wrong
Question #6A: Wrong
Question #8A: Wrong
Question #9A: Wrong
Question #14A: Wrong
Question #15A: Wrong

38 out of 51 - "Congratulations, you passed," it tells me.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
passed

41 out of 51. Well, I guess that puts me ahead of at least some of the scaries on the water, right? Thanks for that link... It really helps to show where one needs work.
Chris

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
49/51. Yippee! :) I wish tests in school had been more like that one. ;)

I must say that the heavy emphasis on questions using their web-calculators is a bit odd.

How important is it for a sailor to be able to plug a half-dozen numbers into a website, to get the Angle of Vanishing Stability for a fictional boat?

Chris A.

Member III
Fun...

46 / 51. That was fun I guess. What's the rule of thumb for max. draft on the main? (question 5)

Chris A.

Member III
The answer to question #3 appears to be that kevlar rope is stronger than nylon or dacron rope. I got that one right because I knew the other choices were false : )

Not sure about the sail draft question. Here it is for others to chime in on:

5. A novice sailor may use the following as a guide: For maximum sailing efficiency, in mild to moderate winds, how far back from the luff (front edge of the sail) should the draft (point of maximum sail curvature) of a sail be ?

10%
30%
45%
60%
The sail should be as flat as possible.
The sail should be cupped.

What say you?

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
And the answer is....

45%. A good rule of thumb is that at NO time should the max draft be aft of 50% back from the luff. The lighter the air, the farther aft the draft can be-up to a maximum of about 45%.

Mainsails will have a designed draft of between 38-45% depending on the boat and intended use for the main (racing boats might have light air and heavy air mains-the light air main would have about 45% and the heavy air main might be around 38%). "AP" or cruising mains will be in the 40-45% area.

For headsails, same applies: A light/med genoa should be about 45%.A # 3-or heavy air jib will be about 33-35%, and hvy #1 or #2 will be somewhere in between.

One of the biggest reasons, for those who care, is that as the wind builds and the boat heels, the tendency for weather helm (pressure) increases. Something which contributes to weather helm is having the draft in the sailplan aft relative to the CG (pivot point or keel)-this makes the boat want to "weathervane"-i.e. bow towards the wind. Pushing the draft forward in heavier air sails helps reduce this tendency, since if the CE of the sailplan were truly fwd of the CG, the boat would in fact have lee helm. The reality is that when you add heeling, mast rake, weight placement, and all the other factors which can affect weather helm, moving the draft towards the 30-35% area simply mitigates the amount of helm you would have if you added all of those factors combined with a draft aft sail.

In light air, when sometimes you can't get ANY weather helm (which in light air helps you point higher), having the draft aft helps "push" the bow up towards the wind-so you point higher. The limitation is about 45-48%-any efficient airfoil must have the max draft (chord depth) forward of the midpoint so the exit will have a clean, straight enough run and air can exit the sail/wing/airfoil at the highest speed..

Did this make any sense at all? Hope so. I actually took the test, too, and missed the security around military boats question-it was pretty good though..

Cheers all!
S

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
39 out of 51 but couldn't get any of the calculators to work. Had to guess at those which is where I blew it. Oh well! Sucks to be me!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers: