Running Topping Lift Line Aft

lbertran

Member III
I've got a rope clutch slot open and am thinking about running the topping lift line back to the cockpit. I can't find any info in the Ericson 35-3 specs or manual about the length of the line for the topping lift running internally in the boom and cleated at the boom just forward of the exit slot. Once I know that length, I can figure out how much I need to add to run the rest of the way to the cockpit. Any 34, 35-3, or 38 owners who have done this out there? I'd appreciate any info or advice. Thanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Check in the specs and docs section of this website. I would imagine it would be about the same length as the main halyard led to the cockpit. Add 10 ft. to be safe.
I have a solid vang so I see no need for a topping lift.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Our topping lift had a 2:1 purchase inside the boom when we redid it. Our TL line is substantially shorter than the main halyard as it only connects to a fixed a fixed length of rope about 3' above the boom (make sense?). We left ours on the boom as we very seldom adjust it. We have it set up so that the end of the boom only drops about 2-3" when the main is dropped. If we were going to play it alot for light air I'd consider running it back, but we don't.

I think we have 7 lines leading aft... main halyard, main sheet, cunningham, boom vang, jib halyard, outhaul, first reef.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Internal boom lift line

Laura - Per the 35-3 owner's manual in the Docs section of this site, the "internal boom lift" line is 5/16" x 16'.