Rudder Vs . Wheel

fixntheboat

Member II
Hi Folks, I have a, 1974, E32-2 . I guess I'm in on the full refit a this point.
I'm checking to see if anyone might have any input on removing the wheel and binnacle, and going to direct tiller steering? I've thought out several pros and cons, and the fact I'm generally single handed. The boat has the twin cockpit setup and there is a beautiful tiller, seems it could be rigged either way.
Here's what I've come up with going to tiller : pro's / cons
-single handed, I'm closer to the adjustments, on deck or in cabin.
-always been a tiller sailor, can really feel it!
-more protected not as exposed
-Less mechanical to fail with quadrant +++
-more room, binnacle removed
-passengers seated in back , can just enjoy the ride.

Con's;
-The removal of the binnacle.... has to happen to rebed , any way.
-would have to move engine controls, ..current shift is backward,, what would this require to move??
-more filling/glassing repair and work .. yippy.

Just trying to figure it out. Any input would be appreciated , I currently have about 45 screws minus, the jib tracks and every fitting,including bright work is off her deck.

Thank you J

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the "closer to adjustments" issue, a wheel pilot solves that--and in my case steers the boat most of the time in typical light conditions.

Lot of work to change to a tiller, and I wonder if the gain is worth it.

fixntheboat

Member II
Regarding the "closer to adjustments" issue, a wheel pilot solves that--and in my case steers the boat most of the time in typical light conditions.

Lot of work to change to a tiller, and I wonder if the gain is worth it.
The rudder post comes up direct into forward cockpit.
Thanks for input,, lots of stuff to think on..cheers!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some threads on the topic:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The rudder post comes up direct into forward cockpit.
Thanks for input,, lots of stuff to think on..cheers!
If I understand your boat correctly, you have one of those models with a short wheel pedestal mounted on a kind of bridge deck, with the rudder head coming up through the cockpit sole immediately in front of that bridge deck.

If that's the case, then it sounds to me as though the only thing you need to do to "convert it" to tiller steering is to find an appropriate tiller to mount on the rudder head casting.

If I've got this right, then I think the prudent thing to do might be to add a tiller and then disconnect the steering cable from your quadrant so that you effectively disconnect the wheel with all of its associated friction. But then, you could just leave the wheel in place, at least temporarily, so you could see how you like tiller steering the boat. If you decided you preferred to go back to the wheel, it would simply be a matter of hooking back up the cables/linkage and removing the tiller. The tiller would still be useful to have as an emergency backup tiller, so it would not be a waste to have purchased it in any case.

On the subject of an autopilot, you could actually get a good tiller pilot like the Pelagic for less money than the ubiquitous but marginal Raymarine wheel pilots. Not only is the Pelagic much more robust, it will actually steer your boat in conditions under sail that the Raymarine will not.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Raymarine wheel pilot is not marginal. I have 15,000 ocean miles on two of them, and they have performed flawlessly for days at a time. Belts can be changed. Simple breakage can be repaired with simple tools. They work very well in light conditions oo when motoring, and they will steer an Ericson 38 up to whitecaps, and beyond if the sea is flat.

They cannot steer a boat across San Francisco bay in 18 knots, or in any condition in which the helm requires forceful attention, such as waves on a reach.

Complaints about the inexpensive Ray wheel pilot are almost universally reported by people with no idea how to trim sails to reduce or eliminate weather helm.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The Raymarine wheel pilot is not marginal. I have 15,000 ocean miles on two of them, and they have performed flawlessly for days at a time. Belts can be changed. Simple breakage can be repaired with simple tools. They work very well in light conditions oo when motoring, and they will steer an Ericson 38 up to whitecaps, and beyond if the sea is flat.

They cannot steer a boat across San Francisco bay in 18 knots, or in any condition in which the helm requires forceful attention, such as waves on a reach.

Complaints about the inexpensive Ray wheel pilot are almost universally reported by people with no idea how to trim sails to reduce or eliminate weather helm.
Difference of opinion, I guess.

There are two issues here: (1) How well it will hold a course and under what conditions; and (2) The robustness of the construction.

(1) Performance: By my definition, at least, a decent autopilot should be able to handle 18 knots of wind, and steer in (moderate?) waves on a reach, with properly trimmed sails. That the ST4000 cannot I think makes the point. While I've owned the ST4000 on a previous boat, I have not owned a CPT and so can't compare it to the CPT firsthand. But from all reports I've seen, the CPT will handle those conditions just fine. My Pelagic tiller pilot certainly will. Obviously, this assumes properly trimmed sails, since NO autopilot can steer a boat that a human helmsman cannot.

(2) Robustness: The construction of the Raymarine is for the most part cheap plastic. By any objective measure it is cheaply made. The complaints on many sailing fora about breakage are legion. And sometimes the breakage is not so easily repaired.

It is unfortunate that they are one of the few (two?) games in town for wheel pilots. I had one for a few years on a previous boat and it did work well enough for motoring and light conditions. It was certainly better than nothing, especially once I lowered my expectations and was careful to baby it. I am glad that Raymarine was (eventually) not the only game in town for tiller pilots. Their tiller pilot is also made of cheap plastic parts. While I typically do not buy extended warranties, I bought one for the ST2000+ tiller pilot, figuring it would croak within the warranty period, which it did. Part way through my second ST2000+ I discovered the Pelagic and sold the Raymarine to a guy at my marina for a good price (after fully disclosing to him my view of it).

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
The way I see it, you could potentially have the best of both worlds. You could attach an autopilot bellow deck on the existing quadrant and have the simplicity of a tiller. I am really biased toward tillers. No cables and chains and you have both hands free (steering with your legs) to tack, jibe and run spin sheets and guys if you desire. I have an ST2000 and it has held up so far. The previous owner claimed that it was his second and that his thought was that waves and spray was killing them. He built a sunbrella case with a transparent window for the unit he left to me when I bought the boat. So far, so good. The unit has not failed me yet.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not difference of opinion, Alan, difference in experience, application and facts.

We are talking about wheel pilots. Pelagic doesn't make one that I'm aware of. The Raymarine ST4000 you cite was discontinued in 2014. You don;t own a CPT, so your opinion is hearsay.

Is the Ray EV100, wheel pilot, made of plastic? Yes, the wheel components are. It's the proper material. Cheap? That's what we call an emotion-charged modifier. The other components are a control box, a compass, and a small motor drive.

I disagree--and so does everybody else--that a wheel pilot should be expected to cope with 18 knots and seas. That's where wind-vane steering takes over, or a powerful belowdeck ram autopilot. There is no substitute in heavy conditions.

This sort of easy dismissal of the off-the-shelfRay wheel pilot, you're right, is common Internet fodder. In fact, they're reliable, simple, inexpensive gizmos that everyone who cruises shorthanded ought to have. And I don't get paid to say that (or for anything else).

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alrightee...I'll bite.

Not difference of opinion, Alan, difference in experience, application and facts.
Well, I guess our opinions will have to differ on whether this is a difference of opinion. Not a problem from my point of view in any case.

Pelagic doesn't make one that I'm aware of.
Correct. They make tiller pilots and below-decks autopilots. I cited them because Raymarine DOES also make tiller pilots, which steer as badly as their wheel pilots do and are just as cheaply made. I was referring to Raymarine quality and performance in contrast to the Pelagic (tiller pilot) and (most likely) the CPT (wheel pilot) quality and performance.

The Raymarine ST4000 you cite was discontinued in 2014.
Right. I personally owned an ST4000+ and know it well. So are you implying, then, that my criticisms of the Raymarine's robustness are somehow irrelevant to the later models? Otherwise, why mention this?

Now, from what I have read, again based on owner testimonials, the later drive units are not more sturdy or powerful, though the electronics are more intelligent in the latest versions for sale. If they did indeed significantly improve the anemic drive mechanism in later iterations I'd certainly like to know that, and would modify my opinions accordingly--quite happily. In fact, I'd love for that to be true, since if I get another boat it may well have wheel steering and it would be nice to add Raymarine as a possible contender.

You don;t own a CPT, so your opinion is hearsay.
"My opinion" is that I've read numerous testimonials from CPT owners, who love its simplicity and power. That's direct testimonial evidence from owners and not "heresay" or rumor. It falls into precisely the same category as your own favorable testimony here, and that of others like you who are favorable to the Raymarine. (They are certainly out there.) This, in turn, has to be weighed over and against the unfavorable experiences of others with Raymarine. And that goes for the CPT as well. (Not everyone I've read is wild about the CPT, by the way--particularly the rather dumb electronics it sports. Brian Boschma thinks the drive motors are pretty powerful, but joked to me that their electronics seem as though they hail from Thomas Edison's era! :) That, interestingly, suggests a possible Frankenstein solution to the problem: A Pelagic brain driving a CPT motor--which the Pelagic will surely do. But then there's that exposed CPT drive belt and pedestal-mounted motor box that not everyone finds attractive. Ah, well. )

Is the Ray EV100, wheel pilot, made of plastic? Yes, the wheel components are. It's the proper material. Cheap? That's what we call an emotion-charged modifier.
I've never opened up an EV100 drive unit, but I have opened up the drive motor on my ST4000+ to replace a belt. On that model I found the construction to be shockingly cheap. That's not an "emotion-charged modifier," but is just my considered opinion having dismantled it and carefully inspected its innards. Is the EV100 significantly any better? I ask that sincerely, with the equally sincere hope that the answer is "yes." But again, from what I have read there has not been any significant redesign of the hardware on the drive unit. If there has been, let me know and I'll rejoice along with all of the current owners who have been fortunate enough to have the improved model. If not, I'll stand by my assessment.

I disagree--and so does everybody else--that a wheel pilot should be expected to cope with 18 knots and seas.
Well, at the risk of Alanus contra mundum, I'd say that a decent wheel pilot should be able to handle 18 knots and "seas"--depending upon what one means by "seas." I sail in Hurricane Gulch, and most summer days see at least 18 knots with often a 4' or 5' swell (or sometimes more) running. The Pelagic handles it with aplomb (Yes, I know it's not a wheel pilot, but my Raymarine ST2000+ tiller pilot would not come even close.) And based on what I have read, the CPT would handle this since it has a much more robust drive motor. On my previous boat with the (discontinued) ST4000+ it simply would not.
That's where wind-vane steering takes over, or a powerful belowdeck ram autopilot. There is no substitute in heavy conditions.
No argument there. Clearly the best choice for those conditions.

This sort of easy dismissal of the off-the-shelfRay wheel pilot, you're right, is common Internet fodder.
Well, my own dismissal of it was not exactly "easy," having owned one for several years, seen its limitations, and having looked directly at its construction. I was not therefore surprised to note more than a few others have reached the same conclusion as I--though not all, by any means. Mine did hold together long enough for me to sell it with the boat several years later, but I babied it and never had a great deal of confidence in it. And it did make some gosh-awful noises at times.

And I don't get paid to say that (or for anything else).
Not quite sure how that fits into anything here, unless one thinks that the detractors of Raymarine products are all receiving compensation from competing manufacturers.

Well, thanks for the stimulating dialog! I'll leave it at that (on my end), and wish you the best with your wheel pilot, which seems to have served you well and appears to meet your expectations. May it continue to do so for many more miles under your keel, Christian.

Last edited:

Parrothead

Member III
Fixn, it's your boat and your choice. You know your sailing style, you know your boat and you have a preference for a tiller. You've thought it through and your reasoning was well laid out. A tiller doesn't prevent you from having an autopilot if you want one, a tiller doesn't prevent you from being on top of sail trim (more like the opposite actually) and a tiller eliminates mechanical complexity. Your boat should be the way you want it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is good to recall that tiller controllers have an easier time of it than wheel controllers.

The EV100 is improved, and definitely worth buying. As with any self-steerer, sail trim is critical to success.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I had a friend with a hunter 28. The boat was a compromise with his wife who wanted a more modern and spacious design than he had in the past. It had a binnacle that was way too big for that small of a boat, so he looked into replacing it with a tiller. He originally thought he was going to come out ahead because the binnacle and cable steering gear was worth a lot on the second market. However, extending the rudder post or fabricating an extension to mount a tiller was too cost prohibitive in his case. Does your 32 already have a tiller and tiller bracket at the end of the post?

I do find tillers easier to singlehand by putting it between my knees which keeps my hands free for sail trim. The drawback is the amount of room in the cockpit the sweep of the tiller takes up. Autopilots help a lot, but I thought it was better to do it manually and reserve my autopilot (ST2000 on my 25+ and ST4000 on my 35-3) for keeping a course under power.

As far as the autopilot conversation is concerned, comparing a $1500 wheel pilot with a $2,400 below deck unit or a sub $500 tiller pilot with a $1000+ unit really isn't fair. The Raymarine stuff is great for where it's priced. Even better when you consider the EVO-100 is $1,500 with the drive unit or $1,100 for just the electronics. That means the drive unit is only worth about $400. For that price, it works great. I've pulled my ST400 apart three times in the three years I've owned it. One of the times, the belt snapped as I was crossing a shipping channel which ended up with us doing a 360 at 6.5 knots in the middle of the Puget Sound. I accept that level of performance from the unit. One last item in Raymarine's wheel pilot corner is the fact that there's no other comparable unit at any price. There used to be a few on the market, but everything has gone blow deck at a considerable cost leaving sailors on a budget with little options. When I have funds available and all other items in my priority list are checked off, I may revisit the autopilot. for now, I just treat it like a fancy wheel brake and be happy.

gabriel

Live free or die hard

We are talking about wheel pilots. Pelagic doesn't make one that I'm aware of. The Raymarine ST4000 you cite was discontinued in 2014. You don;t own a CPT, so your opinion is hearsay.

Is the Ray EV100, wheel pilot, made of plastic? Yes, the wheel components are. It's the proper material. Cheap? That's what we call an emotion-charged modifier. The other components are a control box, a compass, and a small motor drive.

I disagree--and so does everybody else--that a wheel pilot should be expected to cope with 18 knots and seas. That's where wind-vane steering takes over, or a powerful belowdeck ram autopilot. There is no substitute in heavy conditions.

This sort of easy dismissal of the off-the-shelfRay wheel pilot, you're right, is common Internet fodder. In fact, they're reliable, simple, inexpensive gizmos that everyone who cruises shorthanded ought to have. And I don't get paid to say that (or for anything else).
Here’s some “fact”:

Christian, I admire you and so does everyone practically on this forum and elsewhere, but you can also be a bully and judgmental. I don’t appreciate how you’ve responded to Alan, and you’ve even done it to me. He’s entitled to his opinion to the OP just as you are. It’s all “internet fodder”, including you.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am certainly judgmental, but probably not a bully. Bullies don't have a sense of humor. Alan seemed to enjoy the pointed exchanges, which in my little world are the mark of dialectic.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
"The loud wind never reached the ship,
Yet now the ship moved on.
Beneath the lightning and the Moon
The dead men gave a groan." From "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.