rudder-spider cracks

gene faley

I have a '76 29' Erickson. In the last few years I have noticed some spider-cracks in the rudder. I assume this may mean that I have some moisture in the rudder. There has been no rudder damage in the 6 years I have owned the boat. My course of attack is to drill a small hole up from the bottom of the rudder (done). Then this coming spring I will route each crack with a dremel router using a 'v' router bit. I'm not sure what to fill the router crease with. These cracks seem to be more plentiful on the starboard side of the rudder; they are locate mostly on the upper half to one-third of the rudder. Is my approach appropriate? Suggestions for compounds to use to fill. This boat resides on Lkae Erie and is in dry dock; covered in the winter.
Thanks, Gene

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I would guess that the cracks are near the edge of the SS plate in the rudder stock. I had a couple appear the winter my boat was on the hard. They were not there before the first hard freeze. I suspect freezing and the pressure against the gelcoat caused the cracks. Thew were only in the gelcoat and notin the wierd structural part of the rudder that covers the foam core. THe were only on the port side which I sanded before the freeze.

I used the west systen with 404 filler. Bevel more than a 45 degree to give more surface bond.