Rudder Bushing, Vesconite Source

Sven

Seglare
I have trouble understanding how Foss Rudder company would build such a sloppy tolerance without warning it's customer of what to expect?

I had gotten warnings about Foss, both quality and design issues, that's why I punted.

I first contacted one local company based on an avid sailor/racer but they just couldn't get their act together.

Then I asked the Marina Shipyard yard manager and he suggested his boss of 16 years; Dan Choate, in Los Alamitos, California. Turns out that Dan is also the person Seth had recommended a few years back and we'd also gotten his name elsewhere. Dan's guys did the work in place and last time I checked it looked GREAT !

Sorry about your Foss problems but maybe someone else will be saved by your post and go elsewhere.

-Sven

robjpowell

Member II
David,
The additional time for turning the material was 3 days over the time to simply ship. I used Vesconite's on-line bushing calculator and had it made as per it's recommendations. While I haven't put it in the boat yet I have high hopes.

The only difficulty I had in removing old parts was in getting the old PVC liner out of the fiberglassed tube. On our boat there were 2 set screws approx. 2-3cm from the top of the tube. I was unaware they were there until I had chipped/snapped out the PVC (they are that well glasssed over). Of course I have no idea how construction practices changed with time. I did note that the PVC was 2/3 worn away where the bronze/brass bushing had rubbed it. Obviously not everything is square/true. I hope that by shimming the cockpit bushing/tiller-head unit I can compensate.

Rob