Rubrail replacement for E38-200

Capn Geoff

The rubrail on my '89 E38-200 is shot. I need to replace the vinyl insert and the aluminum rail that is screwed to the hull at the join of deck and topsides. I've talked to Pacific Seacraft but all they seem to have is a much wider (and very expensive) rubrail that is quite different from what I have at present. I don't particullarly want to replace the end pieces, but I will if I have to. Any ideas or suggestions about what to do and where to get replacement rubrail at a reasonable cost would be appreciated.

Geoff Giffin
Water Rat

u079721

Contributing Partner
Choose your own

The PO of our 1989 E-38 had a slip that was 13' 6" wide, and after a couple of seasons of trying to dock the 12' beam Ericson he had pretty much destroyed the rubrail. So the winter prior to selling the boat (to me) he paid the yard to replace the entire rub rail with an after market rail. The one that he chose looked nothing like the typical Ericson rail, in that it was a wide white PVC extrusion with a narrow 1/2" stainless steel insert on the outside edge. (I don't have the model number, but I have seen essentially the same rail in the West Marine catalog.)

The appearance isn't exactly Ericson, but the result looks quite nice. The the durability can't be beat, in that unlike the original aluminul extrusion this one is not damaged by a hard docking. (Of which I have to admit I have had a few.)

So I guess my message is just to find a rail whose design you like, at a reasonable price, not worry about whether it matches the orginal, and replace the entire thing.

Attachments

• 5 Dock-stern.JPG
    5 Dock-stern.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 202