rigging - tuning

vanfuego

Island Bird
I'm looking for some information on tuning my E-41s standing rigging. Island Bird is a marconi/sloop rig. I would greatly appreciate some info.

AleksT

Member III
Do you have a specific question or do you just need a tune?

If you just need a tune consult a reputable local rigger who will also be able to go aloft and inspect all that stuff up there and make sure everything is in good order.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Look up Brion Toss on the web. He has some good DVDs on rig inspection and tuning. I think it's good to know the theory and procedure, even if you ultimately decide to hire it done. There are also books available. I have one at home but am on the boat now. When I get home I will post the title.

vanfuego

Island Bird
rigging

Thanks for the replies. I recently stepped the mast and launched the boat after a three year refurbish. The list is so long I'm not gonna go into that right now, however, I had my dad machine new sheaves and stainless spindles, I rewired the mast ,replaced the spinnaker blocks and all the halyards. I also replaced the anchor, masthead and bow lights. The mast step was replaced as well. The rigging was stored in dry storage for ten plus years and i had it inspected( it passed) and strung the mast and installed it. Now I am at the point of the initial tensioning of the rigging. My question, is there is any info from Ericson about certain specifications?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The rigging tension is not a function of the boat model but rather a percentage of the cable's breaking load. Tuning also involves such things as mast rake and mast pre-bend (which you may already be aware of.) Brion Toss's video illustrates the use of a Loos Gauge and also a device called a Rig Stick, which measures the stretch in the cable and is apparently a more accurate gauge of the tension. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a manufacturer of this "Rig Stick" but it seems it would be easy to make one from a piece of a metal tape measure.

The book I mentioned earlier is "Illustrated Sail & Rig Tuning" by Ivar Dedekam, but I am sure there are others as well.

In the "Links/Downloads" section of this forum there are also several mast tuning procedures. Just look through the documentation for the various models and see what you can find. I looked at one for the 30+ and one for the 35; neither mentioned using the percentage of breaking load method but they could at least be a starting place.

Last edited:

Flight Risk

Member II
For initial rig set I like to make certain the masthead is centered athwartship and the mast is in perfect column. 20 percent tension is probably a good place to start. Get the boat out and sail it on a light day. As you tack back and forth adjust the shrouds evenly so there is no sag in the shrouds when on the leeward side. Be patient since getting them just right will take some time.

Once the shrouds are evenly snug, mess with the backstay and see how it may or may not affect the shrouds. Once you get a good baseline, use a Loos tension guage and record the setting for each shroud. I usually put a piece of tape at the measure point so I can go back to the exact same spot when I check them again, and again, and again....

I think most people fail to get the rig under enough tension for fear of damage. Granted you don't want to rip the chainplates out, but do not be afraid to get some tension on things. Checking the rig tension is on my regular maintenance schedule also. I will also check it the day after we have been out in a fresh breeze and working the boat hard. Finding a piece of failing rigging beats the heck out of finding failed rigging........:0

Chris

s/v Flight Risk