restoring Ericson 29

Don Kerr

Member I
I just purchased a 1970 E29. Except for soap and water and a little engine work, the boat appears to be in pretty good shape. Sails included.
Does anyone know where to find replacement globes for the cabin light fixtures?
The cabin cushions are pretty tattered and need to be recovered.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Don Kerr
Riviera Beach, MD

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Walk into the Light!

Hi Don,
After 40 years, it's unlikely that anyone has any to spare that are not also yellowed and cracked... like the remaining ones in your boat. :rolleyes:

The boat builders did and still do source some of this stuff from the RV industry, and I would certainly check with some of the larger RV parts companies. Ya might get lucky. Maybe.

Sidebar: I used to think that I could replace parts in the high-end fixtures in our '88 model because the suppliers still existed. Trouble is, that the parts and fixtures change all the time. Twenty years later the company is still around but the parts have all changed. No joy.

You will probably find that it is time to put in new lights, even tho this will involve changes in the base mounting.
It's just part of the charm of restoring and maintaining a "good old boat."
Also, modern ones with the latest LED bulbs are "light years" better than those old ones, too.
;)
Best
Loren

Glyn Judson

Replacement lenses.

Don, If the lenses in your boat are the 5" square type and about 1 1/2" deep, they are/were a standard in many RV's and trailers. The reason I know these measurements is that I just went out back and measured one of them that are factory original in our 1969 Airstream Caravel. As usual Loren's right on the mark so start looking. If you're lucky, they'll be sitting on the shelf, if you're even luckier, they'll have a stash of them in the back that nobody's bought for years. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Don Kerr

Member I
1970 Ericson 29

Loren and Glyn,
Thanks for the tips. I will check with the RV dealers. I've had the 5" square lenses on a Catilina 30 and I think I might have a few left. The fixture that I am referring to is approx 4" long with a slight taper X 1 1/2" deep and mounts vertically against an aluminum head which contains the switch.

Don Kerr