Restore your Hull without painting it.

bigtyme805

Member III
Ericson Owners I have discovered a product that brought my hull back to life. :)

A couple of months ago I was walking down my dock when a Mason 43 came back to its slip after having some work done in the yard. I noticed that he had his hull painted and I asked him what it cost him and he laughed and said, "while in the yard while having the bottom paint redone I decided to try a product that I saw on Ship Shape TV with John Greviscus who swore that it restored the Gel Coat back to life on older boats. By George this stuff made my hull damn near brand new and my boat is a 1983". :nerd:

After hearing this story and seeing his hull I decided to buy some for myself and use it on my 1985 Ericson 30+. It did the same thing, made my hull look like new and it has been a couple of months and still looks new. My blue stripe which was badly oxidized came back to life and I had tried everything. That Mason has been 6 months and looks new. SO I decided to go in business selling this stuff, not only selling it but commercially applying it to boats in the Santa Barbara, Ventura and Oxnard area. I have made many boat owners happy. Although, I will tell you all that this stuff is so easy to apply you can do it yourself. Boat doesn't have to out of water to do it.

What's even cool is the guy that started the business has stayed out of West Marine and Boaters World because they all want exclusive rights so he sells it on-line or to the small Chandleries.

If you want it I have left you a link to my store on ebay. I sell it the least expensive so boat owners can get a good deal instead of always getting raped. RESTORE your old Ericson. Another thing this stuff is warrantied if you are not happy, you can return unused portion for money back. I have yet to have one unhappy customer.

Every Ericson should have it. HERE IS THE LINK.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=170176268907&rd=1

If you are in the area I mentioned and want us to do it we usually charge $10 per foot unless it's really heavily oxidized, then it's $11.

If you buy please send me before and after pictures.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I used Poliglow for years on my Pearsona nd it made it look new as advertised. There are a couple of tricks you should know. You need to remove it every year and apply 4-6 new coats. If you don't, it will build to a thickness and eventually start peeling and flaking. It does not work so well on dark colored gelcoat. Mine was white with a dark green cove stripe and I could see how it aged more on the dark green section where the white section was still like new. You need to have the hull perfectly clean when Applying. It is a clear coating so it just covers any existing dirt or other marks.

Go to this website to get all kinds of reviews. Type Poliglow into the search box.

http://archives.sailboatowners.com/index.htm?fno=400

BTW, if you still have decent thickness to your gelcoat, it is much better to buff, polish and then maintain. You will spend a weekend buffing, polishing and waxing but it is better than using Poliglow. The do a light polish and wax(2 coats of Collonite) every year for maintenance.

bigtyme805

Member III
Trick of the trade Poli Ox works wonders for removing the oxidation off of dark colored hulls. We have been using it with much success. We find the darker colors need more work because of the oxidation. I learned this when i did my upper boot stripe. The key component to this Poli Ox Stuff is Oxalic Acid.

You mentioned: BTW, if you still have decent thickness to your gelcoat, it is much better to buff, polish and then maintain. You will spend a weekend buffing, polishing and waxing but it is better than using Poliglow. The do a light polish and wax(2 coats of Collonite) every year for maintenance.

I would like to know who has decent thickness unless your boat is a fairly new Ericson or maintained very, very well. In Channel Islands there are many Ericsons and many, many look like crap because of their age. My first Ericson a 1971 was taken care of really well and an expert said to me don't waste your breath and money trying to buff that hull out it will only look good for a month and the cost will be over $300 if you have pro's do it. Plus if you decide to do it you are looking at a whole day of work and results are most likely won't stay for long. Unless you are lucky enough to be on freshwater.

Most of the people on this forum are always complaining about costs and a new paint job, well I don't think I need to say any prices on this.

Plus we are in Salt Water and I need not say anymore about that.

I grew up on Lake Michigan and I can't ever remember seeing hulls so tore up like it is in the Pacific Ocean. When I was in college I had a boat cleaning business in Michigan City, Indiana and we never had heavy oxidation like we see out on the West Coast.

A yearly addition of Poli Glow will cost you less than $60 and give you a nice shine for a year.

Tell you what I will pop 4 pictures of Ericson's on my finger and you can see how bad they look. Lets see we have a 32, 2-30's, 2-27's and that is just on my finger. The maintenance men always comment about how bad they look, and I always say they just need some TLC and he says to me, "They need to go to Davey Jones Locker." These marinas now are looking for good looking boats they aren't taking anymore junk. I am sure if you are in Southern California you know what I am talking about. They don't want a site for sore eyes.

Things are changing now. My marina comes and visually inspects the boats before they take them and a recent survey.

This is a good way to start making your boat look respectable.

bigtyme805

Member III
Also, if you happen to be on the Pacific Ocean your boats are in the water year around. As well as Florida, Texas and the Gulf States.

I kind of rambled on because the work I did on my 1971 27-Ericson, it was in terrific shape and if any if you know me then you know how pristine it was. Gosh it sold for 18k less than a year ago. I could never get that hull to really shine for long.

That is why when Treilley mentioned wax-buff, I almost fell over.

Treilley does your boat stay in the water year around in Maine? When you see these pictures I post you might fall over.

You will wonder if these boats were made by Macgregor.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I agree that painting is probably the way to go for a 10-15 year low maintenance finish($$$$). But if you take the PROPER steps to buff, polish and wax your hull, it will last longer than a month. Are saying that brand new boats with a shiney gelcoat only stay that way for a month? Because when you do it right, you will be nearly back to that condition and then it is just a matter of applying maintenance coats of Collonite to protect it which can easily be done in the water.

A friend and fellow sailor worked in the car detailing business and knows what to use and how to use it. He has written up a procedure for properly restoring your gelcoat. I would be happy to forward that on to anyone who wants it. He knows his stuff. He made my 15 year old Imron look new. And that shine is still on the boat today.

Most boat owners(especially new boats) do not properly maintain their boats. Heck, most car owners don't do it either and that is easy.

skipper007

Member II
I'm Interested - post or email

The procedure for properly restoring gelcoat (in one man's opinion). I've got a new to me 1974 E32, a 12" polishmaster, enough applicator pads, buff pads & wool pads to sink the vessel, and I am armed with Mequiar's products. I've liked them on my BMW so thought I'd try at this haul out with them. Results due in < 2 weeks (as long as my back lasts...)

Thanks in advance
Skip

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Take a deep breath, here it is(Part 1)

Skip, I do not know the "Polishmaster" but it needs to be a rotary buffer type machine like the Makita 9227. If it is a random orbital machine, you will be wasting your time.

There are no shortcuts in life..
I too have tried "miracle coatings" and unless you are happy with a half baked job, which most sailors are, than I don't advise these products. For instance if your boat is kept on a mooring, where the mooring ball rubs the side of the hull in calm weather, the finish will wear through quickly! If you want to do it the right way with REAL results and not a fake "claer coat like" finish then the only way is the hard way. Read below...

Use these products and steps for gelcoat finishes. These instructions DO NOT apply to AwlGrip!

1)Wet Sand by hand (only if needed) starting with 600 then 1000 remember this is only if the boat is severely oxidized other wise start below.

2)3M Marine Superduty Rubbing Compound (use a wool 3M super buff COMPOUND grade pad)

3)3M Finesse It (Use a wool 3M super buff POLISH grade pad)

4)Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover (professional grade automotive product tan bottle - Buff with a 3M #05725 Perfect It foam polish pad.

5) Collinite #885 Fleet Wax - paste version

The rest of the process:

You'll need a few items first. A good Buffer not one of the cheapies. I use a Makita model 9227C with a thumb dial for speed control and the difference between it and my old Craftsman is like night and day! Cheap buffers are just that cheap buffers! Second you will need two or three grades of the 3M wool Superbuff pads and the foam pads referenced above. Use a heavy for compounding, a medium for the polishing stage and a fine for the glazing stage. I use a 3M professional grade foam pad for the polish/glaze stage as well part #05725. It's very important to match the aggressiveness of the pad to the phase of the buffing. Very important!!

Contrary to popular belief there is no such thing as a one step solution for wet sanding/compounding/polishing and waxing a fiberglass hull. The saying "you get what you pay for" is true and a $10.00 bottle of "one step" cleaner wax does not cut it if you want your boat looking Bristol condition like it just rolled out of the Hinckley barn. Unless you're pinched by time and are satisfied with a half baked job, and most boat owners will be, you should stop reading here...

To do it right you must first remove all the oxidation either by wet sanding, starting with 600 grit (but be very cautious) and working up to 1000, 1200 or 1600. Wet sanding should always be done by hand unless you're a seasoned body shop professional. If the oxidation is minimal a good heavy duty rubbing compound, such as 3M heavy duty, and a compounding grade wool pad can be the starting point. After the compounding phase is complete you move to a lighter weight wool pad and a true polish, not a compound or a wax but a polish like 3M's Finesse It. The polishing phase is perhaps the most important because it gives that deep wet look to the hull even before you wax it. Skipping the polishing phase and using a compound only will leave very small, barely visible, scratches in the gel coat that will absorb more UV light, due to more exposed surface area, and thus oxidize the hull more rapidly. This is why you must polish the hull as the second phase or third phase depending on your level of oxidation. So phase 1 is wet sand (if needed), phase 2 compound, phase three polish.

You should not be dependent on the wax for the shine of your hull. This is a big myth propagated by companies trying to make "one step" finishes to cater to the un-initiated or un-educated boater or car owner for that matter. The wax is a protectant only and a final sealer nothing more and nothing less! Unfortunately most people actually skip the polishing step thinking compounding is polishing. It's NOT! Once my hull is polished I do a fourth phase called glazing step and then two coats about three days apart of Collinite Fleet Wax. Wax takes a while too fully harden and this is why I do it two days apart. Most often one coat will suffice but for a really long lasting finish two coats is best (I do three at the waterline).

The glazing step would be considered over kill by many but this is the step where you literally make the hull surface like glass by using products like Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover or #7 Show Car Glaze. I find Meguiars "professional line" in the tan bottles far better than their marine line in the blue bottles. Just because something says marine it may just be an over priced cheap automotive product in a marine bottle. If you were to rate products on a scale of grit wet sanding would be a 10 or most aggressive, compounding with a heavy duty compound would be a 7, Finesse It a 4.5-5, #9 or Show Car Glaze a 2-3 and wax a Zero. So you can see why you can't just jump from Finesse It to a wax or compound to a wax. It still has a lot of grit in it and will leave swirl marks to absorb UV rays.

Don't be fooled by the "easy application liquid waxes" I've yet to find one that lasts and I've tried them all! Trust me I did this for a living when I was younger and no one wants to wax a mega yacht every three months! I used to detail "shiny boats" (mega yachts) and found Collinite to be the longest lasting and hardest of the Carnuba's. One way to test if your wax will pass the test of time is to watch your waterline. If it becomes yellow the wax is dead and gone! With Colinite, applied correctly, I can get 8 full months without any yellowing at the waterline. No other wax has even come close except for a product called Tre-Wax which is another carnuba based wax.

When buffing/waxing a boat, out of the water, a good trick is to cover the bottom paint with at least 2" blue tape so you don't "buff and wax the paint". It's important to tape neatly so you get wax as close to the bottom paint as you can without actually getting it on the paint. I usually do a 3/4-inch width tape followed by a 2-inch width giving me plenty of tape to save my buffing pads. Fouling of your buffing pad with bottom paint is the end of that pad until you can wash it in a commercial washing machine! Don't do it!

To keep "sling", what happens when you use a rotary buffer, and it throws white dots of compound up onto your deck, off the decks, I bring old card board boxes to the boat yard. Lay them on the deck directly above the area you're working protruding about 12" over the edge of the deck and the cardboard will catch any "sling" on the way up.

Buffing and waxing a boat the right way takes time and is a commitment. I plan on about 7 hours each spring and I'm only doing a three step polish/glaze/wax at this point (glaze is an ultrafine polish like Meguiar's #9 or Show Car Glaze). Once you get caught up it's only a two or three step but the first season may take up to 25 hours if your hull is heavily oxidized. Remember, when done right this is the equivalent process and end result of a new paint job! An AwlGrip job on a 30 footer runs about 6K these days! I know most sailors will never spend the time but it pays off big time.

After selling five boats the longest time on the market was three weeks! The last boat I sold was a Catalina 36. It sold in three weeks at the highest price for its vintage on Yachtworld! The condition of a boat is the driving factor in most sales!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Part 2

OK some more tips.

Tips for keeping it clean after you've reconditioned it:

1) With two coats of a Colinite paste carnuba on the hull I only wash the boat with IMAR brand boat wash! This stuff is great and it's safe for washing Strattaglass dodger windows too. The reason I use it is because it's the only product I've found that cleans but does not break down the wax. I'm still beading after 7 months! Do NOT use a soap with a built in wax or one that's a heavy detergent or you will eat away and ruin your protective wax barrier. You can order IMAR products from Defender or directly from the IMAR web site, although, Defender is cheaper. Using this soap and a very soft car wash brush on a stick works well and does not ruin your wax.

Tips for "yellow" looking hulls:

2) Before waxing/buffing: If your hull is old and dirty buy a cheap rain suit, duck tape, rubber gloves and some ON/OFF (basically acid). Duck tape around your wrists so you don't get acid on you while reaching over head to wash the boat. Wait until a nice rainy day and wash the entire hull with ON/OFF. Buy a roll of plastic and rip it with a razor knife into 12-inch wide lengths. Tape this to the water line with 3M green tape (seems to work) at the top but let it hang on the bottom as a drip edge skirt. You do this so the ON/OFF does not eat the copper bottom paint and can drip on the ground vs. the bottom. Wash and rinse quickly a small area at a time and do this preferably before you before you bottom paint just in case. On/Off is basically FSR without the gel. However you can wash much faster with ON/OFF than you can with FSR. The ON/OFF will bring back the white of the hull by removing the metals or tannins (that rusty orange discoloration you get) that attach to the gel coat from the ocean. Maine has lots of metals in the water and ON/OFF is an acid that will eat it. You'll be amazed at the difference in the color of your hull. This is a good place to start before waxing if your boat is older than a few years. Be careful not to get On/Off or FSR on aluminum rub rails, cleats etc. because it will pit them. You could also use FSR but it will take a full day to do it right vs. 1/2 hour for the skirt set up and 1/2 hour washing.

Tips for applying the wax:

3) Do I apply the wax by hand? Yes! DO NOT apply or remove the wax phase with the buffer! I use the 4-inch round Meguiars foam applicators you can buy at an auto parts store and a spray/mist bottle of water, like you use for ironing. The spray bottle is the secret trick for applying a true Carnuba wax. Simply mist the hull and liberally apply the wax. Wait for it to dry and buff by hand with a Micro Fiber rag. Do not use terry cloth! Once you use a Micro Fiber detailing cloth for waxing you'll wonder how you ever survived without one! The spray of water some how helps it attach and buff out to a harder, shinier easier to wipe off finish. It's sort of like when you get your shoes polished and the guy hits them with a mist bottle and then buffs the shine up. I don't think this trick works with the polymer/Carnuba blends like the 3M paste but it's like gold with the Collinite Carnuba as well as Tre-Wax. Another trick is not to wax a large area! Do a three foot wide swath from toe rail to waterline marking where your are waxing at the toe rail with a piece of blue tape. Also leave a little residue on the leading edge so you'll know exactly where to start. You'll wipe this leading edge when finished with the next swath leaving another leading edge to go off of.

I have tried using my buffer to remove the wax but the friction heat is bad for it and it does not shine as well or last as long! Buffing it off by hand gives it a harder shell because it's cooler and does not re-melt the curing wax. Have plenty of fresh Micro Fiber rags for the wipe off! On my 31 footer I use only four Micro's where it used to take about a dozen terry cloth rags. I buy my Micro Fiber rags at Sam's Club or Wal*Mart. Try and find the best quality Micro*Fiber you can it WILL make a difference. Sometimes the quality of the Sam's Club Micro's is poor so I go to Wally World. You want the ones that sell individually or three to a pack not the 12 to a pack rags as the quality is bad on the big multi packs! I think you get 3 for between 6 to 8 dollars. Most all auto parts stores also sell Micro Fiber detailing rags!

Tips for decks:

4) I buff the smooth and the non-skid. I use Collinite there as well and it does not seem to make my decks slippery like a Teflon or polymer wax does. You could also tape off the non-skid and buff the white only letting the non-skid flatten out. I did this on one boat and it looked great!

I hope this info helps and is useful to some. If you do it be prepared to commit the time and increase the value of your boat as well!!!! Trust me it pays back. I've never sold any boat I've owned for less than I paid for it including the fact that I pay a 10% commission...

The picture does not do it justice but look at the reflection in the gel-coat and the detail in the reflection. Less distortion in the reflection shows a very good polish/glaze with virtually no swirl marks. Picture: Link submitted by author

More info on pads, compounds and rags:

Here is link to a photo showing some of the products I use:
Link submitted by author

As maintaining the buffing pads I wash them alone on COLD with regular detergent in a home washing machine. Sometimes it may take two cycles to get them clean. DO NOT dry them in a dryer and don't wash them on hot they are wool and a hot wash or dry will literally change the pad grade. A polish grade pad can become a compound pad fairly quickly so wash cold then air dry. I rarely have to clean a pad, during a buffing project, unless I'm doing a friends boat that is badly oxidized. Use slow speeds and light pressure to prevent compound burning. You can also use a mist bottle of water, very sparingly, to give a little moisture to the hull and lube the pad. This however will create more sling so you’re best to go slow and keep the compound wet. The secret is to keep the pad "wet" if it dries, it burns, and you'll need a "spur wheel" or spigot wash to field clean it. Spurs are available at an autobody supply shop or auto parts store.

Another trick I use for a field clean is to remove the pad from the buffer and rinse it under a boatyard spigot scrubbing it with my fingers till it's clean. I then re-install the pad on the buffer and spin it on the buffers highest speed inside a 5-gallon bucket to catch the sling. Spin it until no more water spins off on the inside of the bucket. Once done with that use a towel to get it as close to dry as possible. This is the method I use as I feel it's more thorough than a spur.

A word of caution about "cheap" compounds and polishes is that they may contain silicone or wax or oils, which will not come, clean of the pads and will eventually ruin them. Use 3M products or Meguiars but carefully read the labels to make sure it says, "does not contain silicone". Many of the cheap products from both 3M and Meguiars contain silicone. Finesse It does not contain any silicone but be sure to read all labels. The cheap compounds use silicones because it adds lubricity to the wheel/pad, for novice users, but a low speed and a light touch will get you a lot further than a polishing/compounding product containing waxes or silicones. Compounding and polishing is just that compounding and polishing not compound and wax or polish and wax at the same time.

Think of a compound or polish as a very, very, very fine grit liquid sandpaper. As you know wet sandpaper contains no silicones or "essential oils" so neither should a compound or polish. Products containing silicones or "essential oils" give you a false sense of shine. This forces you to stop polishing well before you have actually finished shining. The hull should be perfectly shiny before the wax goes on but not shiny from silicone or oils. These additives wash off quickly and also prevent the Carnuba wax from binding properly to the hull. If a product says "paintable" it does not contain silicone!

As for the microfiber rags do NOT use any sort of fabric softener it will ruin the rags and also do not dry them in a dryer. You can wash them on warm or hot though... Keep me in the loop!!

Products I use containing NO SILICONE:

3M Marine Super Rubbing Compound
3M Finesse It - Polish
Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover - Fine Polish (in the tan bottle pro-series not marine grade in the blue bottle)
Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze - Ultra fine Polish also pro-grade in a tan bottle.
Collinite #885 Fleet Wax - Paste Version

bigtyme805

Member III
The back braking work it takes to buff and polish and wax and not achieve the results you would like is disappointing. Most every Ericson Owner on this list has not owned the boat since it was made. Most are not well taken care of when it comes to this. Most rarely even wash their boat.
This product I talk about is easy to apply and lasts a lot longer than any great wax job.

Link to video and you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.poliglow-int.com/video.html

bigtyme805

Member III
Tim great description but with what you are talking about people have to haul their boat, how many owners in year round climate do that? Not many, it's the last thing on their agenda unless the boat is sinking:p

Just kidding about that about damn near close.

Just a little reminder what kind of company gives you 12 months warranty, not any wax company I know of.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Don, I am a big fan of Poliglow. I used it for many years but it doesn't work for everyone because people tend not to follow directions very well. granted, the buffing directions are a bit more complicated but if you mess up Poliglow, it can be very difficult to remove.

Borrow or rent a buffer, and try buffing an area in the cockpit that is usually just as oxidized if not more. If you can achieve a good result and are willing to do the work then go for it. I don't care where you live, you have to haul at least once every 2 or so years.

Most polishing jobs looks great when completed but do not last because people try and use the quick 1 step solution that is loaded with silicone to give instant gratification. That finish will deffinately degrade in a month or less.

As for wax, Collonite is the only one I and many others will use. When properly applied(by hand) it will give protection for a long time. I applied 2 coats at the end of April and when I washed my boat with IMAR a couple of weeks ago, it was just as shiney as new and the water beaded like new. So I got over 7 months out of it and it is still protecting my topsides. Remember, you get the shine with the buffing and polishing. The wax just protects. And the better you polish, the longer the wax will last. Reflected sunlight is much less harmfull than absorbed sunlight.

I am not saying don't use Poliglow, I am just saying there are other ways to make your boat look good.

I have attatched 2 photos. My previous boat(1976 Pearson 28-1) with Poliglow. And my 1985 Ericson 35-3 with 17 year old Imron that I had just polished(no wax yet). The Ericson still looks like that 7 months later.

Attachments

• 2007118180611.16.jpg
    2007118180611.16.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Final_port_side1_jpg.sized.jpg
    Final_port_side1_jpg.sized.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 132

skipper007

Member II
Wow

I'm sitting in silent Awwwww.

Ok - my polishmaster is random orbital - but won't that help decrease heat build up and allow application and buffing (you do by hand)? Why do you say it is a waste of time?

I won't have the time to go through the 25 hours you indicate this time around. And I don't have all the supplies or tools you recommend. I guess next haul out, I'll be prepared.

In the mean time, I'm going to get a publishable version of your doc together and will post back here in PDF format for all (and forward to my boat owning friends/family, if that is ok?). And then I'm going to use my middle of the road method with compound and wax and random orbit with whatever limited time the wife and kids allow - until next time.

Thanks,
Skip

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I tried PoliGlo on the topsides of my E38 at the beginning of last season. It worked quite well and lasted the entire season but now looks splotchy. The part I didn't like was that it takes a long time to apply and do correctly, especially on the topsides, toerail, cabintop, etc. Working around all the stanchions, handrails, portlights, and on and on was very tough on my hands.

I was considering doing the hull this coming spring but I have decided otherwise. Regular old wax is what will go on. Why? Putting a product on that has to be stripped, cleaned (extremely well) and then reapplied every season or every other season is not where I want to spend my time. I have come to accept some oxidation in an old fiberglass boat. A good wax job stands up to a season of use here. Good enough. The thought of putting 20+hours into just waxing, PoliGlo, etc. makes me a little nauseous. Someday, if I keep her long enough then I will have her painted. That "boat show new" look is great for people who can afford to pay someone else but I don't have the time and energy to spend on this kind of thing.

Oh yeah, I'd vote for the 17 year old Imron any day of the week! Looks purty!

RT

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Skip, the problem with the random orbital buffer is that it is not agressive enough. It will take forever to bite into the gelcoat properly. The key to keeping things cool is to use a spray bottle and keep the buffer flat against the hull. Lifting an edge will cause the compund to dry out almost instantly. If you were in the area, I would love to come over and show you what kind of magic can be done with a little hard work.

bigtyme805

Member III
Those boats look great Tim.

Obviously waxing works great if gel coat hasn't been to terribly neglected.

I was reading Practical Sailor article on what their conclusions were and they thought poli glow was the best for older hulls. They tested 4 products and a waxing process such as your own.

Poli Glow had the best results after 1 year.

They thought waxing had the most room for error. I thought this was interesting. And of course worked better on newer painted hulls.

Nate had an interesting point of view, he thought that we shouldn't allow products to be discussed but isn't that how we learn what works and what doesn't?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Nate had an interesting point of view, he thought that we shouldn't allow products to be discussed but isn't that how we learn what works and what doesn't?

Well, I wasn't bringing it up here, because I didn't want to derail your thread. I didn't at all say that products shouldn't be discussed. Just wondering if having people who are selling a product promote it on this site is the best way to exchange info. My experience from another board is that this causes problems, but I'm certainly not saying that can't be dealt with different on this board.

tdtrimmer

Member II
Tim,
A number of us on the Great Lakes use Nu Finish after polishing with Finese It II rather than wax. It comes in a bright orange bottle and sold in most auto departments. It is not a wax but a polymer compound. Have you ever tried it? Many seem to think it is as good or better than wax for the final finish. I'd be interested in your opinion.
Tom
S/V Mistress 1981 E38

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have not Tom. I know it has been around for years as I remember seeing their ads on TV back in the 80s. I think they would apply it to a chalky car in a junkyard and then run it through a car wash 100 times!

I am very pleased with the Collonite and would not be too willing to try out the Nu Finish on my baby.

I have used a product called 5 Star Shine on one of my autos and have been very happy with it. They say it works on fiberglass boats but have not tried it.