mjn

Member I
Ours is crackled and leaking.
I was considering
  1. removing all those screws
  2. Cutting and scraping away as much sealant as possible
  3. Prying the port light frame loose
  4. removing the glazing from the frame
  5. Taking a sheet of cast acrylic with ??? thickness and cutting out new glazing patterned from the old with a CNC router
  6. replacing the gaskets fitting the new glazing into the frame
  7. remounting the frame with Dow Corning 795 and all those screws
I was hoping to do this in a day. Ha Ha

Reading the post on fitting the gaskets gives me pause. I'd rather not open it up without knowing all the parts and how they fit together.
So those of you that have done this.
  • What steps am I going to swear the most at?
  • What materials should I have on hand?
  • I see talk of using laminated glazing which means buying the window from ??? or having ??? cut it for me. I'll happily buy the glazing but where?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Welcome to the 32/200 delight! We replaced our fixed ports with custom made from Bomon in Canada. If I can answer any questions PM me your phone number.

Rick

dt222

Member III
Well I can provide one detail. The glass is laminated safety glass, 3/16" thick. I had to replace one of the large pieces and also one of the smaller ones (in the head). I went to a local glass shop. They couldn't source laminated glass that thin, so instead I went with tempered glass. I didn't want to go with acrylic due to weathering/scratching. There are all sorts of posts here on the site about the steps in replacing, and it seems that there are about 5 or 6 of us doing it during this off-season.

Good luck.

Don

mjn

Member I
Well I can provide one detail. The glass is laminated safety glass, 3/16" thick. I had to replace one of the large pieces and also one of the smaller ones (in the head). I went to a local glass shop. They couldn't source laminated glass that thin, so instead I went with tempered glass. I didn't want to go with acrylic due to weathering/scratching. There are all sorts of posts here on the site about the steps in replacing, and it seems that there are about 5 or 6 of us doing it during this off-season.

Good luck.

Don

Thanks Don,
  • So the crackle is the inner layer of the laminated glass then?
  • If anyone has has more laminate glass windows cut or at least has the drawing for them. Please let me know.
  • Also looking at it last weekend it looked like there were purely gaskets sealing the frame to the hull and the glazing to the frame. I'm thinking of using a bead of the Dow Corning 795 instead of trying to mash in some aftermarket gasket material that is slightly off dimension. Any warning about this or is there a mid-way where I use a combination of gaskets and the 795 silicon?