Replacing bow chainplate and stuff

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
This Spring Project for Discovery (1983 E-30+) is to a continuation of a Rub Rail replacement project. The bow and stern chainplates are of unknown age and the bow chainplate is definitely cracked. With the rub rail project completed, I removed the anchor locker to gain access to the bow chainplate in preparation of removal. Once the anchor locker was removed I found wet and delaminated wood separating the anchor locker space and the forward berth. Other surprises included wet backing plates on the forward stanchions. And then there was Loren Beaches recent suggestion to add backing plates to the forward cleats.

To this end I am purchasing the following materials for the project for community interest.

Divinycell H80 Grid Scored
COM-212248 -- 1/4 inch
Price: $77.88
Or
COM-84842 -- 3/8 inch
Price: $93.00

G10 BackingPlates
COM-G10-1/4-3x6-6 -- Backing Plate 1/4 inch x 3 inch x 6 inch - 6 Pack
Price: $54.99 Limited Stock

Sikaflex 291b
Price: $14.99 10 oz cartridge
or
Totalseal
Price: $15.99 10 oz cartride

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mark, the hardest part of that project, for me anyway, was accessing the underside of the deck to install the backing plates! :)
I still recall sweating a lot when working up under there. One note: use an LED trouble light. In olden times, I was using a light with an incandescent bulb... wow, that heated up the area!

Depending on the deck coring dry-ness, be sure to over-drill, epoxy fill, and redrill for all deck bolts.

Link: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/new-deck-mooring-cleats.525/

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Thanks Loren

I will be cut ting out the underside of the stanchions and using Divinycell H80 Grid Scored to replace the wet core. As for boat yoga, I do my best work upside down. :D

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
For those of us with 1980's E-30's, the anchor locker is the main culprit for wet v-berths (see Anchor_locker_1 image below).
You will notice how the back end of the anchor locker extends over the v-berth.

Request: I would like to hear solutions or suggestions that can be implemented while the anchor locker is open.

Note: I also included images of the copper anchor drain Image 2, and anchor locker with 4 inch access holes.

Attachments

• Anchor_locker_1.jpg
    Anchor_locker_1.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Anchor_locker_2.jpg
    Anchor_locker_2.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Anchor_locker_3.jpg
    Anchor_locker_3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Anchor_locker_4.jpg
    Anchor_locker_4.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 6

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mark, I highly recommend glassing in the anchor well. Its a fairly easy project and you eliminate all leaks into the boat AND increase storage for the chain and rode. Do you use the forward water tank? The hose running from the bow fitting would be the only challenge. In my case there was no forward water tank so I removed that hose.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
BigD14,

That is a good solution that I might modify by glassing over the v-berth area only.

Discovery does have a forward water tank and I have been planning a future project to convert it to a fresh water reservoir for the toilet.

Mark