Replacement Tiller

dave_g

Member II
Does anyone know if the E27 and E29 use the same Tillers?

I need to replace my Tiller and contacted H&L Marine. They have a stock tiller (#1157F) for the E27. With my boat being a '71 and passing through multiple owners, I cannot be sure my Tiller is stock or if it matches the E27.

Could someone recommend a different tiller?

thanks,
Dave

CamD

Member II
Try making your own. I made a tiller for my last boat that had a harsh S curve in it by steam bending. For the E-29 you wouldn't even have to steam it because it doesn't have much of a curve. Just cut thin strips of alternating dark and light wood and coat them with epoxy into a solid piece a little larger than the tiller then wrap it in wax paper and clamp the whole thing to the old tiller to get the curve. give it a couple of days to set up and unclamp it and profile with a bandsaw and router. Its a fun easy project. On the other hand you may not have the tools and will have to buy one. I'll measure my E-29 tiller when I get home for you.
Cam

dave_g

Member II
Thanks for measuring your tiller, it sounds like the one that came with my boat. The E27 replacement I found is abount the same length, but with a 5" curve. It is H&L Tiller (http://www.pyacht.com/hl-tillers.htm) shape F.

I like the idea of making one. I will educate myself on steam bending and give it a try.

Dave G