Repainting non-skid surfaces

patrscoe

Member III
Has anyone repainted over the molded non-skid deck surfaces?
I have this on one of my projects for the winter and spring. There are a few nicks in the non-skid and I have removed some unwanted deck hardware in a small non-skid area and filled in with epoxy, so on.

The molded texture is in good shape.
I am thinking of a Brightside® One-Part Polyurethane Paint with a flattening agent so it is not glossy. No additional additive for non-skid as it appears okay.
Changing the color from yellow to a off-white flat. The yellow is a little out-dated.
Clean, tape off and apply a primer (maybe?) and two coats of paint thinned down.

Any thoughts?
Patrick

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Has anyone repainted over the molded non-skid deck surfaces?
I have this on one of my projects for the winter and spring. There are a few nicks in the non-skid and I have removed some unwanted deck hardware in a small non-skid area and filled in with epoxy, so on.

The molded texture is in good shape.
I am thinking of a Brightside® One-Part Polyurethane Paint with a flattening agent so it is not glossy. No additional additive for non-skid as it appears okay.
Changing the color from yellow to a off-white flat. The yellow is a little out-dated.
Clean, tape off and apply a primer (maybe?) and two coats of paint thinned down.

Any thoughts?
Patrick
I have painted two boats with Brightside one part polyurethane in Hatteras off white with good results. I didn't find it too shiny, even without a flattening agent. It holds up pretty well, though not as well as two part polyurethane. I would use a primer and would not thin the paint. I would consider adding some kind of non skid material to the non skid areas especially if you get water on deck while sailing. On one of my friends boats he used crushed walnut shells, and they began to show through the paint as dark spots, especially as the paint wore a bit, so I would avoid any dark material.
Frank