repacking the stuffing boxes

ChrisS

Member III
Recently I've noticed an increase in bilge water after a sail. Last season, I would get some water in the bilge, but this year it's enough to activate the bilge pump float switch, whereas last year if I sponged out the bilge before a sail that wouldn't happen (but I did get some).

The through hulls are all dry at the dock, and don't show any signs of pitting.

While motoring I can see a drip from the propeller shaft's stuffing box, maybe one grip/5 seconds, which is double what I have read it should be. While sailing I can see a very faint trickle of water from aft of the prop shaft, which tells me there's water coming in from the rudder assembly (there is a bit of sop in the steering tube, and I wonder if this has something to do with it).

Can I service the stuffing boxes at the dock, or do I risk turning my boat into a submarine?

If I can do this at the dock, does anyone have any tips regarding procedure or tools that will make this easier? Should I first try to adjust before I replace the packing?

I understand how stuffing boxes work, but I would really like to see a schematic before I take this one on, so if anyone knows a link to one, I'd appreciate it.

The photo below is of a test run of a new sail last weekend.

Attachments

• spin.jpg
    spin.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 63

ChrisS

Member III
Quick addition: I've read the manual and am wondering if anyone has tips beyond that's written there. Thanks.

Jarod

Member III
You can repack the stuffing box while in the water. If you have a good pump and full batteries (an assistant on hand is helpful). You should be prepared with at least 3 strands of the proper stuffing for your particular boat (all ends cut at 45 degrees). It helps to have a rag at the ready to tie around the prop shaft as you will have some water coming in and it will help to stem the flow. If you look in the specs and docs section there will be a schematic of the standard stuffing box. If you are going to do this in the water you should ensure you have good access and room to work the stuffing box wrenches. Also a good tool to remove the old stuffing (dental pick, corkscrew etc etc.). The old stuffing will likely be a pain to remove if the boat remains in the water. If you take it out to service the stuffing box it will be easy to get out (Murphy's Law).

I should state that if you have never done it before I would do it at least once on the hard first or if it is cost effective hire a proffessional to do it and assist them (might be cheaper than a haul). If any problems arise it would likely be taken care of by their insurance???

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Have you tried adjusting the packing nut? I had the same problem as you and then I adjusted the packing nut maybe 1/6 of a turn and now no leaks when not running with 1 drip every 20seconds or so when motoring. You only have to repack when adjustment doesn't cure the leak. RT

Emerald

If adjusting the packing nut doesn't fix it, given your description of the leaking and that it sounds like you have never worked on a stuffing box before, I would go for a haul out to do this. I would closely examine the shaft log (tube fiberglassed into the boat) and the rubber hose that connects the shaft log to the stuffing box as part of your inspection and service of the stuffing box.

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to adjust both boxes before repacking, and if I need to replace the packing, perhaps I'll get a mechanic to do the work, and oberve, as Jerod recommends. I wasn't planning on hauling until fall 08, so I am hoping to take care of this without hauling before then. I do know that the PO replaced the stuffing in 2001, so we'll see if it still functions or needs replacing.

David, thanks for your other tips.